Gear to get start kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stixobutta

Reaction score
Is this kit worth while or will I need to constantly upgrade the more I continue kegging.

I know I would need a manifold to keep multiple kegs but is this setup good enough to get going and be useful for awhile?

http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=274

image-3757765720.jpg

It will work. 20oz is a little small and may not last long. Realy depends on your needs.

Depends on where you see yourself in 3-6 months from now. If you expect to want to do more, then I would get the kit with a standard regulator (Taprite). The paintball tank is fine when you're going to be remote, but I don't think it's a good fit for a home setting. I use standard Taprite regulators to carb, and serve. I have one of the paintball gun regulators (from KC) and a few bottles (ok, five) that I use for other things. Such as pushing my beer from primary to serving keg. :rockin: Got almost all my kegging supplies from KC... Good place to buy from.

Thanks, I'm just trying to cash in on the free shipping. I just don't want to shoot too small and have to keep spending more. Think I'll just suck it up and do a two tap faucet fridge conversion with the 5# tank.

If you think you'll want two different pressure sets/ranges available, get a dual body regulator. I'd also go with a Taprite regulator instead of the Chudnow models. I had one of the Chudnow, had an issue with it, returned it and got the Taprite dual body. No issue in over a year of use now. I'd also advise getting a second CO2 tank so that you can have one full, waiting, while the other is in use. That way, when you have the one on the regulator run out, you just change it over and you have time to get the other filled. You have no idea how bad it will suck to go to put a fresh keg into the fridge, put the gas feed on it and come back to an empty tank shortly after. Especially on a weekend when nothing is open. :eek:

I'd also go with MFL fittings on everything you can, use swivel nuts on all the lines/hoses and use Oetiker clamps. IME, worm clamps suck and will leak more often. The Oetiker clamps (sold by Keg Connection, along with the crimping tool) grab all the way around the hose (full 360 degree clamping) unlike worm clamps. FAR better seal and very easy to use.

Get going… yes. Be useful for a while? imo, NO! I wish my little co2 #5 was a 20lb or more cause I’m sick of driving to get’er filled up! Plus the cost of filling up a 5lb vs 20lb is like $1! I say, and so many others (don’t ask), you get what you pay for. You’ll want more!

Get going… yes. Be useful for a while? imo, NO! I wish my little co2 #5 was a 20lb or more cause I’m sick of driving to get’er filled up! Plus the cost of filling up a 5lb vs 20lb is like $1! I say, and so many others (don’t ask), you get what you pay for. You’ll want more!

I only have one 20#, one 10#, one 5# and one 2.5# aluminum CO2 tanks. :eek: Plus a pair of 20oz, pair of 12oz and one 16oz paintball CO2 bottles. Think I have enough CO2 yet?? :tank:

I bought the 5# with the tap right to get started. The fist batch going into this keg will be my winter lager... Just in time for some ice drinking.

I figure I'll keep this as my mobile rig, build a jockey box. I haven't done any kegging before so this will get me going. Then I'll have a better idea about the right gear for the inevitable keazer build which will be coming soon I'm sure.

Yeah, you might as well upgrade to a 20 Lb tank. It will last a lot longer and refills are cheaper.

Back