Gassy Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarsNBars8

Reaction score
I'm getting a complaint from a frequent visitor (and drinker) that my beer gives him gas... does it have anything to do with the yeast still being active?
It's a Hef that went into the keg and cooler about a week ago.

Wait a couple more weeks and it won't be that big of a problem, but yes, it probably is the yeast.

+2

Yes, it can / does give gas..

But that's part of the fun, isn't it? :D:D

Cheers,
Awfers

Any green/young beer's going to have a lot of yeast in suspension, which will cause some gas. Hefes magnify the issue because the yeast doesn't flocculate all that well, which keeps it in suspension even moreso (and causes that hefe - yeast - flavor).

also, once you get used to drinking real living beer, it stops.

agreed. if he is a frequent visitor he will stop getting gas from all your regular brews. hefe's cause a bit more gas for reasons already mentioned. there have been a few threads in recent memory that were specifically about excessive gas. homebrews and hefe's were the culprits. to that i say :mug:

Thanks all! Sounds like he (we) are just out of luck for the time being...
I appreciate it.

One cure for the gassiness is to ask your moocher, I mean your visitor to give up some money for the next batches. I bet he doesn't come around as much, therefore the gassiness will go away. :D

Sounds like your moocher has a serious incompatibility and should stop drinking homebrew. He needs to stick with commercial beers he pays for himself.

Seriously, the unfermentables in homebrew get broken down in the gut & methane is one of the results. Just like beans.

also, once you get used to drinking real living beer, it stops.

+1
your body gets used to it after a couple weeks of drinking craft brew. hefe's and any naturally cloudy-due-to-yeast beers will be even more noticeable.

The unfermentables are in the form of various oligosaccharidic sugars which are nearly identical to the substances in beans.............therefore, you get the same effect in the digestive system: Music!:fro:

Back