Gasp another Yeast Question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brauhaus

Reaction score
The local grocery store only had bread yeast available... can this be used for fermenting? I had my wife grab a pack since it was only a few cents... just curious if it will work...

I'm assuming since this is yeast it will work... might add some weird flavoring since it's for bread...

Atleast you have yeast to make some bread to enjoy with your brew. :mug:

There has been this guy that has been writing in to basicbrewingradio about how he tried making beer with bread yeast (Fleischmann's I think). He says it turned out fine.

I don't know what he considers "fine" though. I suppose some people enjoy drinking piss and blood...

Could be a fun experiment. It is still S.cervisae

My first mead was made with bread yeast. yeast IS yeast...however bread yeast strains aren't adapted to beer making very well.

It'll ferment, and it'll be drinkable. However you should expect more phenols, esters, and I couldn't even guess at diacetyl production or clean up rates.
it'd likely need months of aging to hit its peak, and should only be done for ale styles since it won't tolerate lagering well at all.

Back