Gas QD question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZomBob

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

First off, Hello! I am new here and was looking for an answer to a simple question. I checked the search function first and was not able to find the information I was looking for. I also searched the equipment section and am still at a loss. I have brewed 4-5 times before (malt and all-grain) and have force carbonated beer but I have never set up a system before.

Today I bought a Firestone Challenger IV and what I assumed to be all applicable parts in order to attach it tom my CO2 tank and regulator. However after disassembling and reassembling I tried to pressurize the keg with sanitizer formula inside and found (much to my chagrin) that it would not accept any gas. The poppet works fine but here is the question:

The grey gas QD does NOT have a post inside in order to depress the poppet. Does it need to have one? Did I buy the wrong part? It would seem that in order to pressurize the keg a pin would need to be inside the QD to depress the poppet in order to allow gas in.

I know this is an insanely ridiculous question as logic would seem to dictate that I already have my answer however I am looking for confirmation before making yet another purchase.

As for the rest of the story I am helping a buddy with his first brew. He got a kit for Christmas and we are making a Brewer's Pride Irish Stout which I wish to keg carbonate and consume rather quickly. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I have plans to keg on Saturday.

Cheers and thanks in advance for any and all help,

Zombob

You bought the right part, but I've never seen a QD without a spring and pin inside. It is necessary to open the poppet on the keg.

Did you disassemble to clean and possibly leave some parts behind? I can't imagine why anyone would sell a hollow QD on purpose.

You bought the right part, but I've never seen a QD without a spring and pin inside. It is necessary to open the poppet on the keg.

Did you disassemble to clean and possibly leave some parts behind? I can't imagine why anyone would sell a hollow QD on purpose.

Nope. I didn't do anything to the QD other than attach it to a hose and my keg. It didn't have a pin or spring from the start. I am going to return it today and talk to the guys at the beer store. Thanks for the reply.

Back