Gas QD Hisses - No bubbles when sanitizer is sprayed on it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Damoxemus

Reaction score
New Kegger here - and like the title says, when I put my grey disconnect onto the line IN and turn on the Co2 I can hear a hiss coming from the QD. When I put my finger directly on top of it the hiss goes away. However, I don't feel any cold air coming from it and when I spray sanitizer on it I don't see it bubbling at all.

Is this normal or is there a possible leak? Should I just cover the top of the QD with some duct tape or should I replace it?

ps - putting the QD doesn't always click on smoothly, sometimes I have to take it off and push it down again to make sure the outer casing slides down all the way.

Thanks!

You shouldn't hear a hiss, apart from the initial gas rushing into an unpressurized keg, this stops in a few seconds. Make sure the top of the disconnect is screwed in properly - you don't need to overtighten but it should be snug. If you've never taken the disconnects apart before a screw driver fits in the slot in the top. When you unscrew that top piece there should be a little black washer inside, plus a spring and the little plastic piece that pushes on the gas post poppet. Make sure the washer looks okay. Also be sure you don't have the gas and liquid posts switched - gas posts have little notches in them at the base, the liquid posts do not. The disconnects don't fit well on the opposite posts. If they are correct then a little keg lube on the post gasket or a spray of star san can help getting them to go on smoothly.

Sweet, that sounds like it should help. I'll check it out and see.

It's definitely on the right post, but ya, it's a used set up and I have not taken apart any of the disconnects before.

Thank you!

Could also be a bad o-ring on the post. That'll leak out of the bottom of the QD and be hard to detect with a spraybottle.

Best way to figure out where the leaks is from on a connected keg is to wrap the chime (rubber ring that has hadles on it) with duct tape, fill it with water, look for the bubble source, and then dump the water in a secondary bucket. Done right, it will quickly indicate if the leak is at the disco (and which part of), the lid, or the hose fittings.

You shouldn't hear a hiss, apart from the initial gas rushing into an unpressurized keg, this stops in a few seconds. Make sure the top of the disconnect is screwed in properly - you don't need to overtighten but it should be snug. If you've never taken the disconnects apart before a screw driver fits in the slot in the top. When you unscrew that top piece there should be a little black washer inside, plus a spring and the little plastic piece that pushes on the gas post poppet. Make sure the washer looks okay. Also be sure you don't have the gas and liquid posts switched - gas posts have little notches in them at the base, the liquid posts do not. The disconnects don't fit well on the opposite posts. If they are correct then a little keg lube on the post gasket or a spray of star san can help getting them to go on smoothly.

The top was a bit loose, and the washer is a bit worn but ok. I will replace it tomorrow but for now the tightening of the top seemed to do the job.

Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back