Gas mix for nitro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoophil

Reaction score
Hi all - I have some questions about gas mix for a nitro stout setup.

Essentially the question boils down to whether a nitro setup will work acceptably on 40/60 mix as opposed to the standard 30/70?

My question stems from the fact that in Australia the 30/70 mix comes with a different regulator connection (type 50) to standard CO2 systems that we all use (type 30). My gas supplier told me otherwise, saying that the 30/70 mix they signed me up for would be type 30 but then delivered type 50. And of course now my second regulator that I bought doesn't fit.

So I'm weighing up the options (altering my regulator, buying yet another) but thought that one obvious solution is to move to 40/60 - but I'd like to know how that would perform and whether or not it would be a backward step in terms of quality of pour, etc. Ultimately I'm after a good outcome and it would be very useful to get some advice from those people with direct experience of these blends.

I can only make some general observation based on my experiences in the States where things are a little different. For starters, stout is dispensed with 25% CO2 here. Thus if dispensed with 30% at the same temperature and pressure the dissolved volumes of CO3 will be larger by a factor of 3/2.5 and if dispensed with 40% larger by a factor 4/2.5 (relative to the US 25) or 4/3 (relative to 30%). It is quite possible that this might present a problem with too much foam but you can probably tweak the dispense pressure to get a decent pour.

Another thought is that in the States the flange that connects to the gas bottle is on the end of a nipple that screws into the regulator body. One can change the bottle that a regulator will fit simply by removing the nipple that is on the regulator and changing it for one that fits the bottle that you want to connect to. A good source for these nipples is spare parts suppliers for the regulators themselves.

I would be suspicious of the notion that different CO2/NO gas blends are distributed in different type cylinders. Especially if the notion came from the same supplier that blew the original call.

Also, if the reg you bought was obtained "locally", throw yourself on the seller's mercy and see if they'll either swap (you eat the shipping) or if they'll sell you a new stem and coupler nut to match the mixed-gas cylinder valve you need. Worst thing that happens is they laugh and tell you to pound sand ;)

Cheers!

I can only make some general observation based on my experiences in the States where things are a little different. For starters, stout is dispensed with 25% CO2 here. Thus if dispensed with 30% at the same temperature and pressure the dissolved volumes of CO3 will be larger by a factor of 3/2.5 and if dispensed with 40% larger by a factor 4/2.5 (relative to the US 25) or 4/3 (relative to 30%). It is quite possible that this might present a problem with too much foam but you can probably tweak the dispense pressure to get a decent pour.

Another thought is that in the States the flange that connects to the gas bottle is on the end of a nipple that screws into the regulator body. One can change the bottle that a regulator will fit simply by removing the nipple that is on the regulator and changing it for one that fits the bottle that you want to connect to. A good source for these nipples is spare parts suppliers for the regulators themselves.
I bought an adapter to use my regulator on my 25%co2/75%nitro tank and then discovered the $35 regulator kit harbor freight sells actually comes with adapters for both nitro or co2 tanks... kegworks (which is a locally based online and local retailer sells the adapters for like $10.)

Back