Gas leak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locolorenzo22

Reaction score
So, I changed my Orings in a root beer keg. Looks like they're okay, but now I have a gas leak when I take the co2 Quick disconnect off. Bubbles are around the circle in the middle (poppet?), I've tried replacing orings again, adjusting it with a screwdriver, unscrewing/reseating, keg lubing orings. Can't get it to stop. How can I fix this? I also never took it off the gas when the root beer was in. I'm almost 99% sure I checked for leaks when I kegged the soda, but now I wonder if I did. Advice?

So, I changed my Orings in a root beer keg. Looks like they're okay, but now I have a gas leak when I take the co2 Quick disconnect off. Bubbles are around the circle in the middle (poppet?), I've tried replacing orings again, adjusting it with a screwdriver, unscrewing/reseating, keg lubing orings. Can't get it to stop. How can I fix this? I also never took it off the gas when the root beer was in. I'm almost 99% sure I checked for leaks when I kegged the soda, but now I wonder if I did. Advice?

Did you replace that o-ring on the poppit?

Nope. Didn't even think about it. How can I even get that out of there?

Take off the post, and take out the poppet (if you have a removeable one). Then check the o-ring and look for debris in there. You can change the o-ring and lube it while it's apart. That sounds like the problem.

Well, I don't even have a clue how to remove it if I can....it's really jammed in there. Now I can't even press it down in the post.

Are you able to remove the post?

If you have the post, and can't get the poppet out, you will probably just need to replace it anyway, as often getting them out damages the legs, and you will need to replace it anyway.

I would highly recommend the universal poppets as they do have replaceable o-rings, and do not have the legs that can sit on ridges inside the post, just a big spring that sits on top of the dip tube flare.

If you can't get the post off, that will be your first priority, and for some kegs, it can be a bear. I have even seen some people bend the entire assembly trying to get the post off. You won't be able to replace the poppet without getting that post off first though.

Yeah, post is no problem, the poppet is on legs in there. So I'll just get the universal one with my next grain or kit order. Thanks for all the help!

Back