Gas leak in the kegerator...need diagnosis advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepfat

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, just had a 15 lb bottle filled last week. Everything was fine with bottle pressure until about 3 days ago when I seen that all of a sudden my bottle pressure gauge was in the red. Next day, completely empty. Recently, the same thing happened to a 5 lb'er I had so I changed all the gas lines and reclamped them all so I'm reasonable sure it isn't a pinhole in the line. Here's what else I've done...

1. I thought it might be a new keg I just racked to (maybe with an o ring) so I shut off the valve to it in the manifold.

2. Re-tightened the regulator

Are there any tricks that I can do to see if it's a leak in a disconnect or even the manifold?

Many thanks for your help

starsan or just soapy water does wonders in finding leaks. I went through 2 5lb fills before I got down to finding the leak with this method. It worked great, but like popeiam said, start simple and by disconnecting the keg and see if all your valves and fittings are sealed up.

I am new to kegging and same problem. Two 5 lb tanks for 2 kegs over a month. I found it using the dish soap and water trick. Leak was an intermittent slow leak on a touchy pressure relief valve on one keg. You might want to check there.

+1 on what k35r said... I have been fine for ages, sparingly using my tank. Then a keg's pressure relief valve leaked and drained my tank.

I hate those damn valves.

BTW, any ideas on how to fix the pressure relief problem? LHBS clerk said sealing it is a possibility but is a gasket change a better solution? I'd hate to just have a rubber/SS doorstop.

Back