Quantcast

Gas canister

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kmlavoy

Reaction score
I've done a couple of all grains now, and was wondering: how long do propane canisters typically last? I had SWMBO pick me up a small propane tank over the weekend in case the worst happened. But I'd rather not test things.

TheDom

Reaction score
I don't really keep track, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten at least 4-5 hour long boils out of my tank. If possible buying a second tank is a life-saver, so you've always got a full one on reserve!

Reaction score
i have a 40lb that i use as my main tank and a 20lb on the BBQ that's always available as a back up. i do all grain 90 min boils (including heating my HLT) at least 3 times a month and have refilled my 40lb tank once since i bought it in september. it lasts a long time. one of these days i'm going to weigh it before and after a session just to get an idea.

menschmaschine

Reaction score
I have three 20lb tanks plus a backup (they were free, and legal:)) for a 3-tier system. I've done 8 batches (a mix of mash types and boil lengths) before one went dead.

OP
K

kmlavoy

Reaction score
That's an interesting thought. Has anyone got an empty tank that they can weigh? Then we would all know...