Garlic and Chili Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loweface

Reaction score
I just made a batch of Garlic and Chilli wine, I think it'll go great in marinades for the BBQ next year...

4 Garlic Bulbs Peeled
5 Chillies (3 red 2 green)
2.2 lbs brown sugar
1 Jar honey (~1lb)
1 tsp yeast nutrient

The garlic was wrapped in foil and baked at 350F for 2 hours,
then boiled in about 1L water for 45 min, strained and let cool a bit.
The chillies were simply split in half and the seeds removed.
Everything was then mixed in a 5L Demijohn and allowed to cool somewhat before pitching a general purpose wine yeast.

Only problem is not the whole house smells of garlic!

I cannot for the life of me decide if I think this is brilliant or mad - though I think I'm leaning towards brilliant. Does fermenting it make it taste very different to a non-fermented marinade with the same ingredients? (I take it it's just intended as a marinade, and you don't actually drink it as a beverage?)

Well I've read that individually they can with some aging make an interesting sipping wine however I just felt an urge to attempt something different.

I have no plans to carbonate and it is more of a garlic chilli delivery system than a complete marinade in itself...

I have no idea how it will taste but it looks terrible on pitching but smells really nice... I can see it clearing and turning out quite well...

How did this turn out?
Ive been thinking of making a marinade with garlic and hot peppers

Back