Gardens! Who grows their own food? Lets see picts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am going to start a garden next year and grow my own vegetables and I am wondering who here gardens? Who is growing their own food? Show me some picts, and an idea of what your growing. What works, what doesn't work. I need some help and some ideas. I want to use my spent grains in my compost also. Can I add hops in the compost mix? What about yeast? Who uses it to compost with?

Cheers
Jay

I keep four raised beds, plus a couple of small beds at ground level. I've done squash, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, spinach, other assorted greens, sweet potatoes, peas, beans, and who knows what else. I've got no pics because I'm at work, sorry.

Two hints...first, start small. Gardening can be a lot of work, and the hardest part of it is prepping the soil. Give yourself a gentle start by limiting yourself to a fairly small space at first. You can always expand your garden later.

Second, good soil is critical. Depending on what you've got, it may be easier to do a raised bed than till. Plants need soil they can sink roots into. Learn composting - good compost will keep your need for fertilizer to a minimum, and keep the soil loose. Spent grains are a wonderful addition to compost if you can keep the other requirements in balance.

Gardening for me has been like brewing - I never stop learning. Unfortunately sometimes you have to wait until next year to apply what you've learned.

Edit: I didn't answer your question about mulch. I wouldn't mulch with spent grain because it will stink to high heaven. Maybe drying it first would help, but you might end up with rodents, birds, etc feasting on your mulch.

One of the local breweries here has an urban garden that supplies their restaurant. I am reasonably sure they separate whole hops from the rest of their compost, but I can't remember why. They may do so to let them dry before mixing them into the rest of the organic matter, but that's just a guess.

I keep four raised beds, plus a couple of small beds at ground level. I've done squash, tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, spinach, other assorted greens, sweet potatoes, peas, beans, and who knows what else. I've got no pics because I'm at work, sorry.

Two hints...first, start small. Gardening can be a lot of work, and the hardest part of it is prepping the soil. Give yourself a gentle start by limiting yourself to a fairly small space at first. You can always expand your garden later.

Second, good soil is critical. Depending on what you've got, it may be easier to do a raised bed than till. Plants need soil they can sink roots into. Learn composting - good compost will keep your need for fertilizer to a minimum, and keep the soil loose. Spent grains are a wonderful addition to compost if you can keep the other requirements in balance.

Gardening for me has been like brewing - I never stop learning. Unfortunately sometimes you have to wait until next year to apply what you've learned.

Edit: I didn't answer your question about mulch. I wouldn't mulch with spent grain because it will stink to high heaven. Maybe drying it first would help, but you might end up with rodents, birds, etc feasting on your mulch.

One of the local breweries here has an urban garden that supplies their restaurant. I am reasonably sure they separate whole hops from the rest of their compost, but I can't remember why. They may do so to let them dry before mixing them into the rest of the organic matter, but that's just a guess.

I had to edit my OP I said mulch when I was meaning compost.

Thanks for the reply. My intentions are totally to start small. I was thinking 1 4x16 raised bed or 2 4x8 beds building the beds out of 2x8 and doubling them up to make it a 16" tall bed. I was also thinking cedar or redwood. I do want to do potatoes for sure but I think I will do the bag trick with those. I have plenty of grain bags lying around

Cheers
Jay

I tried twice in my yard, but the soil sucks. I intend to make some raised beds, but haven't had the time and inclination as of yet. We always had one as a kid. Everyone in our family had at least a few plants, and my friend's family had a 1/2 acre of stuff! The garden was so big, and his dad was in poor health from a life of drinking and smoking, so he made us kids tend the garden. We learned to call all the varieties of beans one name: F*$&'n beans! (As in, "You boys go out and weed them F*&$'n beans!)

I tried twice in my yard, but the soil sucks. I intend to make some raised beds, but haven't had the time and inclination as of yet. We always had one as a kid. Everyone in our family had at least a few plants, and my friend's family had a 1/2 acre of stuff! The garden was so big, and his dad was in poor health from a life of drinking and smoking, so he made us kids tend the garden. We learned to call all the varieties of beans one name: F*$&'n beans! (As in, "You boys go out and weed them F*&$'n beans!)

Note to self.... * never tell the boys to go weed them F^$@N beans*

Dude I was crying that was so damn funny!

Cheers
Jay

Second, good soil is critical.

^^^^ This.
I've taught veggie & fruit gardening in the past as part of the Cooperative Extension when I lived in rural NY.

The *key* thing I preached, over & over, is
"Feed the soil, not the plants"

Composted manure if possible. Sheep or pig is preferable. Cow is fine. Chicken only if it's aged well. Horse, never.

Fold in your leaves & grass clippings (assuming you don't use weed killer on the lawn).

+1 on the raised beds. I would look Into buying your compost and bedding material in bulk from a nursery or landscape company. We try to do organic. I don't know how much room you have to work with. We started with beds and later we built greenhouse over them.

image-515377516.jpg

image-2188463782.jpg

+1 on the raised beds. I would look Into buying your compost and bedding material in bulk from a nursery or landscape company. We try to do organic. I don't know how much room you have to work with. We started with beds and later we built greenhouse over them.
Very nice garden and green house!
All very good sound advise guys! Thanks a bunch. I am lucky I have 3 great landscape material companies within 5 miles from my house and they all sell KILLER garden soil (so they say) . All of them make up a mix they call their "house" vegetable garden soil. PH tested and ready to go. I will try it with this soil at first and then fold in my compost next year. I am going to buy one of those black compost tumblers as I don't really have room for a big compost pile and I hear they can speed up the process of composting. Any thoughts on that?

Cheers
Jay

So I am going to start a garden next year and grow my own vegetables and I am wondering who here gardens? Who is growing their own food? Show me some picts, and an idea of what your growing. What works, what doesn't work. I need some help and some ideas. I want to use my spent grains in my compost also. Can I add hops in the compost mix? What about yeast? Who uses it to compost with?

Cheers
Jay

Jay, Get some asparagus crown and get those in the ground ASAP if you can still find them. Next year will be so so as you only harvest for a short window but like hops each year after will be absolutely great. Your hot like me so peppers and tomatoes are an easy grab. In fall plant a bed of carrots, one of leeks, and one of garlic. Let them winter and harvest next year. Fava beans should go in in the fall/winter and will be amazing when they come out in spring leaving you with awesome soil and a ton of "kid" work shucking beans. Cukes, squash and corn do great. It's the damn critters that you ahve to watch out for. Deer love Tomatoes! Got free bow hunting rights to my neighbors working farm because of them. Going tomorrow morning if this scary looking fire doesn't stop me. Might need to pack up tonight and be ready to Evacuate. On the composting. I feed the yeast and grain to my pigs and chickens so if you don't have then I would likely compost the grain and just dump the yeast. Makes my compost pile wreak. Make sure you take deer precautions if they are in your location . At least 8ft fence if possible. Keep on top of gophers and whne corn is about a week from perfect watch that **** like a hawk. I came out last year after a week up in humboldt on vacation (bout the time I was gonna try to stoop by and check out your store....sorry bout that) but I got back and the little bastards had eaten every kernel and I just about cried. If you fence the whole thing in go to lowes and get some bird reflective streamers. Not sure what you would really call them but you could probably hit a party store and just buy those rolls of stuff people hang around parties but make sure it is really reflective and string it from post to post to keep the birds away. Got extra CD's laying around then take some fishing line and put the cd's every 4-5ft on the line from post to post for a similar effect. Melons are a pain if you don't ahve a ton of space and keep squash contained as it can and will take over if you let it. Let me know if you ahve any other question and I will be happy to try and help.

Ohh man thanks for the info. I don't have to worry about deer where I'm at but I am sure the birds will have a hay day. I was thinking of doing the asparagus but I am going to have to wait till next year to get them started. I was thinking of a dedicated 3x3 bed. To big? to small? Also when I do plant the crowns how many should I be buying? I have a family of 5 and would like to give a little away as well. yeah I want to do melons but I really don't have the room, so I am trying to convince my mother and father to plant them where they are at. Then I we can trade.

Cheers
Jay

I have a 6x6 bed for asparagus and it is too small for a family of 3+baby at year 1. Wish we would have went way bigger so we could eat those delicious white stalks and tones of greens and still have loads to can and freeze. I am a liitle hazy on how many crowns we dropped but i want to say 10-15 for a 6x6. You really can go too big with asparagus in my opinion but we love the stuff, breakfast, lunch and dinner. If we don't get wiped out by this fire, I will try and dehydrate some next spring and see how that turns out. Due to the drought and getting way behind this year we just planted some tomatoes, fava's peppers and herbs. We managed to lose are small well about a week or so ago completely and now we have this massive fire coming right at us so gardening has been low on the list. If you like reading up on gardening, I have got "The Joy of Gardening" and "The Vegetable Gardners Bible". Both have their strengths and weaknesses but have proven informative. If you truly don't have to worry about deer (so lucky) then you can just drop some decorative or non decorative (t-posts) on around the perimeter and run some of that streamer material or you can try to just take some old cd's and attach them to the fence or what ever you have around the area. My neighbors do that on there large farm and I guess the have there reasons. Turkey could care less though as they have a flock of 80+ living the good life on their dime. Good Luck

Latest posts

Back