gardening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bengerman

Reaction score
so, I've been on me annual gardening kick for the last couple weeks. knowing there are a lot of DIYers here, I'm wondering what you all are growing. I was originall thinking of fruits/veggies/herbs, but feel free to include ornamentals you're proud of as well.

this year we have:
brussels sprouts
strawberries (more than we'll be able to deal with. probably making some strawberry wine this year :mug:)
lingon berries
blueberries
zuccini
peas
beans
and a pear tree (the pear has something simmilar to black spot, so it's actually the most work so far this season as the only solution for this fungus is to pick up all fallen leaves, which means raking once or twice a day.)

and hops, of course. one centennial, 3 mystery hops, and maybe transplanting a 3rd year fuggle from my friend soon.

Basil and cascade hops. That's it, don't have much of a yard to grow stuff in.

Tomatoes, basil, peppers(red, yellow, jalapeno), parsley, and strawberries.

garden.jpg

We have basil, mint, parsley, and cilantro in the herb category, and in the veggie category we have green beans, mesclun lettuce mix, red leaf lettuce, cayenne peppers, hungarian wax peppers, garlic, leeks, carrots, and sweet corn. We had planted peas, but some #&%^^%$@ vermin and/or flying creature dug them all up. My neighbor also has about 30 tomato plants, zucchini, cucumbers, bell peppers, and spaghetti squash.

I'll just be happy if I get one single, solitary, tasty ear of sweet corn. The plants are already a foot tall, but they have to be "knee high on the 4th of July" for me to be excited.

Lets see:

Hop Garden: cascade and willamette

Herb Garden: basil, lavender, rosemary, oregano and thyme

Vegetable Garden: tomatoes, lettuces, spinach, mustard greens, green beans, carrots, beets, broccoli, cauliflower

Share the Harvest Garden: bell peppers, green beans, carrots, onions, beets and broccoli.

The Share the Harvest Garden is a project locally here, where a number of folks commit to growing fresh produce for a local food pantry. Its through a small, local organization called Grace Seeds Ministry.

Hops on a 17.5' trellis:
2xCentennial, Cascade, Chinook, Magnum, Newport, Nugget, Golding, Fuggle, Columbus

Veggies:
Potatoes: All Blue, Carola, French Fingerling, Austrian Crescent
Tomatoes (18 plants of various heirlooms)
~ 8 sweet peppers of various variety
~15 hot peppers of various variety
Garlic
Shallots
Brussel sprouts
Sugar/snow snap peas
Edamame soy beans
Dozen or so eggplant of various varieties
Lettuce/spinach/pak choi
green onions
2 tomatillo varieties
Several varieties of zucchini or summer squash
acorn squash
Pole beans (roma and kentucky wonder)

Herbs: Oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, parsley, lavender, chive, tarragon, dill, cilantro

Perennial berries/fruit:
Strawberries (6'x6' pyramid)
6 thornless Blackberries
2 Jostaberries
6 Gooseberries
12 ft row of rasperries
Black raspberry
7 blueberry bushes (which have not grown well in 3 years)
2 Goji Berries (trying them one last time)
rhubarb

Fruit trees:
2x Honeysweet Pear (still too young to fruit)
1 Olympic Giant Asian Pear
2x Contender Peach (awesome northern hardy variety)
1 Montmorency Cherry
1 Black Gold Cherry

I am as bad with gardening as with brewing, if not worse.

Watermelon, Yellow Squash, Pumpkin on a stcik, Snake Gourd, Chinese Lantern, Giant Hibiscus, Love in a Puff, Dinosaur Food, Beel Balm, Peanuts, Spinach, Hosta of all varieties, Swiss chard, Bleeding Hearts, Ferns, Fuschia, Lily of the Valley, Siberian Bugloss, Tomatoe, Asparagus, Broccoli, Cabbage, Brussel Sprouts, Cukes, Pole Beans, Passion Flowers, Clematis, Pumpkin, Acorn Squash, Zuchinni, Soybean, Iris, Cosmos, Sweet Pea, Moneywort, Jap Maple, and Jasmine.

Off the top of my head.

oh Oh. Bell Pepper, Banana Pepper, Thyme, Basil, Strawberries, Rosemary,.......and bermuda.

I also have some Egyptian Walking Onion due to arrive in October.

Tomatoes, 5 heirloom varieties and Roma. Kale, lettace, sage, rosemary, chives, eggplant, basil, thyme, hungarian hot wax peppers, naga jolokia peppers. Golding, Cascade, Willamette. carrots

two varieties of beets, carrots, radishes, roma tomatoes, brandywines, cherry tomatoes, yellow pear tomatoes, cukes, zuchini, green beans, sunflowers, sugar snap peas, rosemary, thyme, basil, dill, cilantro, curry, pumpkins, green peppers, hungarian peppers, thai chili peppers, a ghost chili, jalapenos, habenero and my willamette, cascade and tettnag hops.

i won't get into the roses...

I don't have a yard (live in an apartment) so we grow everything in containers. This year we've got a tomato, bell pepper, basil, mint, chives, parsley and dill. We have a sunflower that volunteered itself below the bird feeder too.

The wife also has a bunch of flowers. Not entirely sure what they are, though. My interest begins and ends at the eatable plants. (And building the containers, but that's neither here nor there.)

Back