Gardening: My Tomatoe and Pepper Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Hanglow

Reaction score
@Oldskewl do you have a dehydrator? I've been dehydrating all my excess. They keep fine for over a year in the cupboard then.

IMG_20220819_161337042_HDR.jpg

Hanglow

Reaction score
Yeah they rehydrate fine for things like sauces as they will go quite soft . You can also add them straight to stews, stocks, soups etc and they will rehydrate. Or add a bit of hot water to them then drain and add oil, herbs, balsamic etc like those store bought sundried tomatoes in oil. I'm trying right now to see if they will rehydrate in oil overnight

If you dehydrate them to crispness then you can grind them to powder and use them in rubs etc

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was out of town for a month, and when I left the squash vines were just about to start blooming. Wife didn't pick it while I was gone. I just picked a couple of ten-pounders (literally) that were trapped growing through the chain link fence between my yard and the neighbors'. I think they're probably still good but not sure what to do with them. Probably shred and freeze them, that's what I do when folks give me overgrown zucchinis. There are a few more giants out there amongst the weeds, I might leave them to ripen like butternut squash. (these are "tromboncino" summer squash. Yes, the name means what it sounds like)

When do you pick butternut squash, anyway? If you leave them too long does the vine stop producing, like cucumbers when a few turn yellow?

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Peppers FINALLY starting to ripen fully. After a little reading, I maybe should have pulled the first peppers on the bell plants. It's suggested that the plants put more resources into growing that first fruit. I do have a couple of really large peppers as first fruits on several plants. That second yellowish pepper started out as a pale green, then pale yellow, and is now showing some orange. I think it is a flavor burst variety that was in the mixed bell pepper pack I had as most of the fruits are three lobed. I also have two purple bell pepper plants producing. Jalapenos have one starting to blush and a number with corking but the habs are still green. Nighttime temps have dropped into the low to mid 60s but next week will drop into the mid 50s.
1662731782857.jpeg

1662731970420.jpeg
1662731845880.jpeg

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was out of town for a month, and when I left the squash vines were just about to start blooming. Wife didn't pick it while I was gone. I just picked a couple of ten-pounders (literally) that were trapped growing through the chain link fence between my yard and the neighbors'. I think they're probably still good but not sure what to do with them. Probably shred and freeze them, that's what I do when folks give me overgrown zucchinis. There are a few more giants out there amongst the weeds, I might leave them to ripen like butternut squash. (these are "tromboncino" summer squash. Yes, the name means what it sounds like)

When do you pick butternut squash, anyway? If you leave them too long does the vine stop producing, like cucumbers when a few turn yellow?
I've only grown butternut squash twice, this year and last. I was harvesting when they stopped growing and turned tan. This article had a good amount of info on them.

z-bob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've only grown butternut squash twice, this year and last. I was harvesting when they stopped growing and turned tan. This article had a good amount of info on them.
These squash have a good bit of variability in color, some are light green and some are dark, and seem to taste the best when picked about 12 to 14 inches long. The big but not huge ones still cooked and tasted like summer squash. The seeds were not even hard yet. I've shredded a bunch and put bags of it in the freezer to use this winter.
I've eaten most of one of those ten pounders. I started at the stem end and would cut a chunk off and peel and cube it. It was pale green and cooked like a slightly-watery butternut squash. When I got to the bulb on the end where the seeds are, I cut it in half lengthwise (and put one half in the fridge in a gallon ziplock bag) and scraped the seeds out, peeled it, cut into cubes, and sort of stirfried it in a wok with some vegetable oil until they got soft. They absorbed very little of the oil. It tasted like acorn squash.

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Costoluto Fiorentino. They make a great sauce but are a bit late for my latitude. Did better for me both in yield and taste than san marzanos though
I thought those might be Costolutos but the ones I have growing this year were a lot uglier in form. I had a number of these as volunteers from last season that I used to fill in for some early losses. The ugliest ones seemed like they were failures of two tomatoes to spit. They aren't very resistant to leaf septoria but were my best producers this year as they grow pretty fast. About half actually bounced back after a pretty long wet spell and extensive infection. I have a volunteer San Marzano too from last year and it produced slowly but slightly better than last year.
1663271254898.jpeg

Hanglow

Reaction score
smoked another two trays of mixed chillis last night on the kettle grill, they are currently continuing to dehydrate in the garage and the smell is quite intense.

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Woo-hoo I finally have some peppers ripening. Several nice bells going to be stuffed later for dinner. Still producing a few tomatoes but most of the vines have kicked the bucket.

Attachments

• 20220921_112149.jpg
    20220921_112149.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0