Gardening: My Tomatoe and Pepper Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm using the biocontrol for the caterpillars, some sort of powdered bacteria that you mix up with water, kills them really fast and it's not toxic like many pesticides to other insects.
We tend to get bright green caterpillars down here and they go for the tomatoes and brassica family. End of season for our tomatoes and they'll be pulled up in the next few weeks.
I'm going to try and overwinter the Chilli / pepper plants though.
BT, works great on the cabbage worms. They will tear up brassica. There's a white moth that lays the eggs. I was so close to getting a salt gun to shoot the bastards last year. I'd see them in the afternoons, they are territorial I've read. But as soon as I killed one, another would come by. Row covers work if you get them in soon enough. I will be trying. that this year as well as the BT.

Hanglow

Reaction score
Cabbage whites can be a scourge here too, I use scaffolding debris netting to keep them off my brassicas as its cheap. It also keeps the pigeons/rabbit/deer off during winter and acts as a bit of a windbreak too which is good for salad crops. Shame it doesn't work for carrot flies or flea beetles

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_132507976_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211128_132507976_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8

Hanglow

Reaction score
Tomatoes and peppers outside whenever its warm enough and I remember

Also have planted all my frost hardy spring plants now, things like peas, lettuce, herbs, cauliflower, broccoli, kohlrabi, onions, spinach

IMG_20220410_135826053_HDR.jpg

Oldskewl

Reaction score
That was really cool. I didn’t realize plants moved so much. I need to get one of those grow lights. My plants are so viney

corkybstewart

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Good luck this season everyone. I had a ton of potato beetles last year, so I'm taking a hiatus from everything in the nightshade family this summer. Keep posting your pictures.
I had a really bad blister beetle infestation on my Romas mostly last year. Persistence, and Dawn detergent in a spray bottle eventually beat them into extinction. But once again aphids destroyed my cabbage, broccoli and Brussels sprouts. I'm done trying to grow them.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I got some Rutgers tomato plants split them up from the 6-pack flats I bought from the store and into larger pots 2 weekends ago, and got some collard greens planted. I hope to get the rest of my garden going tomorrow:
zucchini
yellow squash
butternut sqush
various bush and pole beans
more collard greens and kale (for my wife's tortoises)
cucumbers
Jalafuego peppers
cayenne peppers
habanero peppers
and another type of tomato, but I don't know which one just yet until I see what's available at the store this weekend.

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I managed to get the following in the ground:
8 Rutgers tomatoes
6 Marzinera tomatos
zucchini seeds
yellow squash seeds
10 Contender bush beans (to start; I'll end up tripling that amount over the next couple of weeks)
9 Sumter cucumbers
4 Jalafuego peppers
6 cayenne peppers
2 habanero peppers - briefly thought about doing more, but the 3 plants I had last year produced so much I had to give away a bunch of peppers

Reaction score
I have this raised bed garden I put in around christmas. It's got a variety of veggies and herbs in it. I thought I'd put in another one if it worked out (it has worked out), but I get a great assortment of stuff every time I cull through it. Every few days I pull off a ton of cherry tomotoes, a few large beefsteak tomatoes, a bunch of various peppers. I only cut off the herbs (basil, cilantro, parsley) when I need it though.
1651934098543.png

Reaction score
My cilantro went from a beautiful mature herb plant to wild in a month. Before and after pics below. It's gone too seed too. Cilantro seeds are coriander, and coriander in seed form is almost impossible to find locally, so not the worst thing in the world.

1651935528319.png

1651935559714.png

Apple_Jacker

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Got the rest of my stuff in the ground today. Squash, beans, and cucumber seeds already sprouting too. Just waiting on the okra to pop up.

Attachments

• 20220507_150957.jpg
    20220507_150957.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
OP
OP
estricklin

estricklin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Really enjoy reading through this thread. I have completely missed gardening the past couple of years. I moved from rural Arkansas, where I had plenty of land and the best soil one could ask for, to a house with a small yard in Oklahoma City. As for the soil I'm not sure how the damn grass even grows here. I'm planning to have a couple of trees cut down in the back yard, that would allow in more sunlight and at that point, will consider raised beds or kiddie pools. I miss my peppers and tomatoes, also miss eating greens on a regular basis.

bwible

I drink, and I know things
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
We have ours started indoors but its still been too cold here in PA to put anything outside yet and we’re getting notices from the weather channel about colder temps expected. Damn global warming

Hanglow

Reaction score
Anybody every get dark cherry tomatoes like these? They taste awesome, but many (not all) get a dark skin when vine-ripened.

View attachment 768200

I'm growing "Cherry Rosella" this year that look to be similar to those

Managed to put in all my inside toms in this year, 10 in greenhouse and 10 in a converted shed

Attachments

• IMG_20220508_172927019_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220508_172927019_HDR.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220508_172912346_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220508_172912346_HDR.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 0

Oldskewl

Reaction score
We have ours started indoors but its still been too cold here in PA to put anything outside yet and we’re getting notices from the weather channel about colder temps expected. Damn global warming
I know what you mean. I am hoping to get my plants in the ground next week. We have had a couple frosts here in my part of PA recently. Somehow I started my plants inside way to early this year. Pepper plants are coming along nicely, tomatoes are very viney. Not sure if they will do well or not.

Reaction score
I'm growing "Cherry Rosella" this year that look to be similar to those

Managed to put in all my inside toms in this year, 10 in greenhouse and 10 in a converted shed

I think you nailed it. I have the label on the tomato cage. Midnight Snack cherry tomato, from the interwebz:

Midnight Snack is a unique indigo-type cherry tomato that ripens to red with a beautiful glossy black-purple overlay when exposed to sunlight. This coloration comes from the accumulation of anthocyanin pigments, the same reason blueberries are blue and contain healthy antioxidants.

1652465754964.png

Last edited:

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I am hoping to get my plants in the ground next week. We have had a couple frosts here in my part of PA recently. Somehow I started my plants inside way to early this year. Pepper plants are coming along nicely, tomatoes are very viney. Not sure if they will do well or not.
You can plant tomatoes deep with their stems either straight down or even sideways. They'll root along it. Afterwards, you'll want to trim the lowest branches to avoid rain splash which transmits disease from the soil. They are very resilient to trimming so the sooner the better (not immediately of course).

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My cilantro went from a beautiful mature herb plant to wild in a month. Before and after pics below. It's gone too seed too. Cilantro seeds are coriander, and coriander in seed form is almost impossible to find locally, so not the worst thing in the world.

View attachment 768201

View attachment 768202
They always seem to do this to me prior to getting the ripe tomatoes I need for salsa.

bleme

Reaction score
My youngest is in 6th grade and they haven’t used the swing set in years. I’m going to turn the swing portion into a trellis and get some asparagus beans growing on it. I’m also thinking about picking up some 2nd hand plexiglass and turning the fort section into a greenhouse.

Attachments

• E81446DE-AA2C-40AF-AE23-7EFF25227482.jpeg
    E81446DE-AA2C-40AF-AE23-7EFF25227482.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0