Gardening: My Tomatoe and Pepper Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Deadalus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's the recipe. Because I was using slicing tomatoes the first batch is a little thin, so I added about 2 tablespoons of canned tomato paste to the second batch and it helped. Use freshly-ground black pepper if you have it; it makes a difference, and I generally use a little more than a 1/2 tsp.

Chile Salsa
(from USDA bulletin 539) yield: 6 to 8 pints

5 pounds tomatoes
2 pounds chile peppers
1 pound onions, chopped
1 cup vinegar (5%)*
3 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper

Roast and peel peppers if they have tough skins (not necessary for jalapeños or serranos), remove seeds and stems, chop. Scald and peel tomatoes; chop. Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle into pint jars, leave 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

*Notes: I generally use jalapeños, seeds and all, and I find that ½ cup bottled lemon juice plus ½ cup white vinegar tastes better than using all vinegar (or all lemon juice.)
I've used tomato paste to thicken up salsa but a recent salsa recipe I made had a good tip which was to let the tomatoes drain for about 30 minutes in a strainer. Came out decidedly thicker than previously given about the same mix of tomatoes.

Hanglow

Reaction score
Fermenting the last of my chillis, not sure what sauce to do with them. How long do people ferment for? Can you go for a few months?

and where some of my chillis and toms were grown In my little greenhouse, have replaced them with winter salads and garlic. Roll on next year
IMG_20211022_094348383_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211022_171244397_HDR-01.jpeg

Evilgrin

Reaction score
Can you go for a few months?
My last one was a year old. Turned out great using the Easy Fermenter lids. I have not tried the vacuum bag method yet but as long as it had enough salt and the bag aint ready to pop you should be fine to let it ride.

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Fermenting the last of my chillis, not sure what sauce to do with them. How long do people ferment for? Can you go for a few months?

and where some of my chillis and toms were grown In my little greenhouse, have replaced them with winter salads and garlic. Roll on next year
View attachment 746554View attachment 746553
I've been fermenting in jars with air locks anywhere from 1-3 months. Tabasco ferments theirs's in barrels for 3 years, with special runs up to 5 years!!

I have never heard of fermenting in vacuum bags before. I'm gonna have to study up on that. Seems like a good idea.

Hanglow

Reaction score
Yeah I saw it mentioned I think on the chilichump youtube channel and thought it was worth a go. It didn't expand too much, although obviously I made the bag many times bigger than if I was just vac packing to freeze. Going to try it with fermented beetroot too.

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I saw it mentioned I think on the chilichump youtube channel and thought it was worth a go. It didn't expand too much, although obviously I made the bag many times bigger than if I was just vac packing to freeze. Going to try it with fermented beetroot too.
Recently discovered the ChiliChump and have watched a bunch, but mostly on growing and not much on fermenting. I'll have to explore further down his list!

corkybstewart

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've been out of the country for a couple of months but a friend has been staying at my house, tending the first garden he's ever had in his 65 years on earth. We exchanged emails today, apparently my tomatoes are still doing fantastic, he has many more than he can eat. He also expressed mild irritation that my jalapenos never developed any heat at all, something I noticed before we left but I still don't understand. Unfortunately he's gonna have to turn the water off to the garden soon, before the hard freezes start hitting. |Still, even having left 2 months before my gardening season ended I'm happy. I canned 13 quarts and 10 pints of tomato sauce the day before we left, I've got at least 10 pounds of peeled and blanched carrots in the freezer, and we ate all the veggies we could stand this summer. And, above all, I have 4 very well established varieties of hops growing in the garden.

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been out of the country for a couple of months but a friend has been staying at my house, tending the first garden he's ever had in his 65 years on earth. We exchanged emails today, apparently my tomatoes are still doing fantastic, he has many more than he can eat. He also expressed mild irritation that my jalapenos never developed any heat at all, something I noticed before we left but I still don't understand. Unfortunately he's gonna have to turn the water off to the garden soon, before the hard freezes start hitting. |Still, even having left 2 months before my gardening season ended I'm happy. I canned 13 quarts and 10 pints of tomato sauce the day before we left, I've got at least 10 pounds of peeled and blanched carrots in the freezer, and we ate all the veggies we could stand this summer. And, above all, I have 4 very well established varieties of hops growing in the garden.
Grats! Sounds like you have done well, despite having to be gone!

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Edit: no one knows why this was posted on this thread, though I did put some homemade hot sauce in my bowl!! lol

It’s been raining, cold, and getting colder here in north Texas today. It’s 47° F at the moment and headed for the mid 30’s tonight. So I made a big pot of potato soup! :)

091602E4-3E0B-4C7B-BBCB-E76FA76B2545.jpeg

Last edited:

Oldskewl

Reaction score
Heavy frosts hit here in PA this week, 3 nights in a row. I didn't have time to go out and do a final harvest due to heavy rains over the weekend. Time to clean her out. :(