Gardening hose to transfer wort in herms system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello my friends,

I have been looking on youtube, and I see a lot of people using copper or plastic tubing to transfer wort in their herms system.

I thought it would be easier to use gardening hose, but I wanted to ask if there are any problems with doing this. Maybe particularly regarding off-flavor issues or other.

Thank you.

Kind regards,
Marius

Have you ever drank from a garden hose? That distinctive flavor comes from the cheap rubber used to make them. Unless you want that flavor in your beer, avoid the garden hose.

People do use garden hose for counterflow wort chillers, but it is only used to pass water around the metal interior tube. Just so there is no confusion.

I recently switched the hose from my MLT over to a garden hose. Only used it on 2 batches. Haven't drank either yet.

Should I change that out also? If so can someone reccomend what type of hose to use here?

You can get drinking water safe water hoses. Maybe that won't give the off flavors associated with regular hose water.

I recently switched the hose from my MLT over to a garden hose. Only used it on 2 batches. Haven't drank either yet.

Should I change that out also? If so can someone reccomend what type of hose to use here?

get some silicone rubber hose . RV hoses are not rated for hot water use.I use RV hoses for all my cold water never for hot

Back