Garden hose water filtration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgranger

Small Wave Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am running a garden hose from the main house to the detached garage that I brew in, using an RV drinking water safe hose. I am also running it through a 10" 10 micron carbon water filter. The water from the house is incredibly hard, visible white layers of minerals left on equipment, and floating in the water. Any recommendations for further filtration? I am trying to avoid the use of an RO filter, mostly due to the fill rate speed, storage requirements if filled ahead of time, costs, waste water, etc.

Would a second filter with a smaller micron after the 10 micron help at all? At my previous brewing location the water from the tap was perfect, so I am relatively new to water filtration.

Thanks!

Are you on city water or a well? If you are on city, have you tried getting your water report? It might help you ballpark what you need to adjust, plus it's free.

To remove hardness and other dissolved minerals there is nothing (as far as filtration goes) besides reverse osmosis. Any other type of filter just won't work.

To remove hardness and other dissolved minerals there is nothing (as far as filtration goes) besides reverse osmosis. Any other type of filter just won't work.

^^^^this

Use the RV 'safe' hose and a KDF type RV external filter. Take a sample, send it off to Ward Labs with $40, then use one of the online water calculators and adjust your water profile as necessary. Or buy distilled/"purified" (i.e., R.O.) and build the water you want.

I got tired of collecting 8-10 gallons out of an R.O. device. It would take an hour or more, plus the rejection rate was at least 2 gallons for each 1 gallon collected.

Fortunately my well water is very good quality and well suited for brewing pales and IPAs with minimal additions of salts. Not so much when making a Pils or Helles however, so I use store bought R.O. for them. Less than a buck per gallon.

Brooo Brother

Back