Garden hose to Sankey tap adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrFancyPlants

Reaction score
Does anyone have a link to such an adapter if it exists? I'd like to really crank up the flow for flushing oxyclean out of a sankey.

So, you are trying to clean in place a sankey keg? Why not just remove the spear and put the hose in through the hole and rinse it that way? It really is not all that difficult if it is the style retained by a spiral ring. The miller style are harder. Otherwise you could build one from the brass adapters from HD.

I thought you needed a special tool to remove the spear, but I just watched a youtube video that made it look easy with a pair of needle nose. I'm sure I'll cut myself or something, but I'll give it a shot. Should I also disasemble the spear? or is giving it a scrub and a soak good enough?

I have only once disassembled the spear. Not really necessary. The kegs are usually cleaned in place without being opened on the professional side of things. I just soak.

The only two tools I use to do so are a small flat head screwdriver and a pair of pliers(Vicegrips work great). The screwdriver to pry out the end of the ring, and the grips to put it back in. I can get the spear removed in less than a minute and reinstalled in under two.

Good to hear. Enjoy. And now I will leave you with the following disclaimer.

Keeping a keg and forfeiting the deposit is still stealing. Kegs cost way more than the ~$30 that distributers require for deposits. The ones who have to eat the cost of non-returned kegs is the brewers. Decommissioned kegs can be purchased legally. Be a good person, don't steal kegs. We beer people gotta stick together.

And now back to your regularly scheduled beer forum.

I hear you, fortunately mine was purchased from a reputable source. I was thinking about this issue though and wonder why they don't just increase the deposit to the replacement value of the keg? Isn't that the whole deal behind a deposit?

I was also thinking about purchasing a refurbished firkin, mainly because they look so dang cool but also because it would be closer to a manageable batch size for me, and I've found one at a reasonable price, but now I'd be hard pressed so give up the convenience of a sankey.

I don't think that $100 deposit would prevent frat boys from around the country from purchasing their beverage of choice in the most economical way possible (other than brewing their own(pardon the stereotyping)). If anything it would help get some of the "privately reserved" kegs back into circulation when they were returned instead of forking over a new deposit. Theft might go up a touch, but not if you subtract the passive aggressive "theft" via forfeited deposits.

I don't think that $100 deposit would prevent frat boys from around the country from purchasing their beverage of choice in the most economical way possible (other than brewing their own(pardon the stereotyping)). If anything it would help get some of the "privately reserved" kegs back into circulation when they were returned instead of forking over a new deposit. Theft might go up a touch, but not if you subtract the passive aggressive "theft" via forfeited deposits.

Doubtful. When they raised deposit prices last around here (from $10 to $30), instead of their earlier just swap, they really started checking reciepts or else they would only give you $10 for them. or nothing at all in my college town. I just gave the shell to a friend so he could deal with returning/swapping it.

Back