Garbage Disposal Apple Grinder

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

js82181p

Reaction score
Hi All:

I've read several success stories on this forum regarding people making grinders out of garbage disposals. I've also hear rumors of disposals overheating, but have not heard of any 1st hand experiences of this happening.

For those of you that have been involved with a garbage disposal grinding project, what brand/model disposal did you use, and did it:

A) work like a charm
B) work with minimal interruptions
or
C) not work at all

Any feedback is appreciated (both negative and positive).

Thanks!
Jimmy
:mug:

I've used one. Don't remember the brand (it was cheap and on sale at a Menards store). It works fine. I've found it to work the best when one whole apple at a time is dropped in. I find that I need to have a small piece of wood available to move the apple around sometimes. Apple chunks tend to get stuck inside where they are not meeting the grinding part of the drum.

Pro's 1) it works well, 2) was a lot cheaper than buying a dedicated apple grinder and press ( I built my own press), and 3) I get more juice per bushel compared to my dad's traditional grinder and press.

Con's: 1) It's louder 2) You have to feed one apple at a time so it takes longer.

Hope this helps.

Get a Waste King Legend Series 2600 or 8000. They have stainless steel innards and won't overheat with continuous usage. Very nice pieces of equipment. They cost ~$70-$130 depending on where you shop.

http://www.amazon.com/Waste-King-L-8000-Continuous-Operation/dp/B000DZGN7Q

http://www.amazon.com/Waste-King-L-2600-Continuous-Operation/dp/B0014X7B54/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone put together a DIY type posting on this type of setup?
We don't have apples here, but there is a lot of fruit I would love to throw at something like this, I have a juice that i never use becuase I'm certain it could not handle the volume that I would need to throw at it.
I think it would be great just for making juices if it works well.

I asked this in another thread, but just in case others will see it here:

Anyone using a Waste King Legned or Insinkerator Evolution who can comment on whether the seeds get ground and how well they work?

I am trying to decide between these two disposals. I like that the Insinkerator has a stainless grinding chamber, but worry that the multi-stage grinding might be too fine. It is also expensive. The Waste King costs much less which is great, but has a nylon chamber and I don't know how food safe that is? I am also guessing it doesn't grind quite as fine as the Insinkerator, which might be good if not as many seeds get crushed?

Any reviews or opinions much appreciated!

Definitely Waste King L-8000 Legend Series is the best garbage disposal on the market . Relatively easy to install and powerful motor. I replaced a broken In-Sink-Erator model which had a design flaw causing a cracked housing and leaking and this Waste King Legend Series 1.0 HP has performed great for a few years.

I bought the cheapest disposal I could find (1/3 hp) on Amazon. I did 1,200 lbs of apples the first year and about 1,000 lbs last fall. If the apples are juicy, it never overheats. If I run wild apples through it, it gets hot and trips the internal breaker after ten minutes of use or so. No big deal, let it cool, press the reset and get back to work. Mine sits outside all year and has served me well.

I don't run whole apples through it because they just roll around inside if they even fit and it takes forever. I bought one of those apple corer/slicer tools at the grocery store, mounted it onto the end of a piece of 4" PVC pipe, made a ram rod out of a shovel handle and puck shaped block of wood, then force each apple through this pipe/apple slicer right into the disposal. Works like a charm.

You will need to use a fine mesh press bag or press cloth to hold the pulp back when you press it.

These little wild apples go right into the disposal but are on the dry side so the unit gets hot.

Into the Mill.jpg

Bought a used Insinkerator 777ss from kijiji and cleaned it out real good. Grinded apples pretty well but did overheat a couple times, requiring a wait and a breaker reset. Helps to run cold water through every pail of apples or so. Also helps to take a break after every pail of apples. If you have lots of apples to grind it might be worth ponying up for a model which can stand to be run for a long time. And yes, you definitely need a mesh strainer bag of some kind. I used to press by just smashing the apples with a fence post in a bucket and that pressed nicely without a bag. However, this applesaucy stuff just squirts out the side of the fruit press I rented. Still got a decent yield but there was tons of juice left in the pomace and quite a mess to clean up. I'll be ready for next year - definitely worth the effort to build a sink/garbage disposal unit.

I made a grinder using the Waste King 8000 model that others mention. It works fine and doesn't seem to overheat at all, and it's pretty quiet. I had two full 5-gallon buckets of crabapples, and got almost 4 gallons of juice.

43928043641_0e4352ebd8_k.jpg

43928038651_5d640a3b4d_k.jpg

I made a grinder using the Waste King 8000 model that others mention. It works fine and doesn't seem to overheat at all, and it's pretty quiet. I had two full 5-gallon buckets of crabapples, and got almost 4 gallons of juice.

Did you have any trouble with the output tube clogging? I was grinding crabapples with an L-2600 (1/2 hp, but same size output tube) and it kept clogging.

Thanks.

Sink disposals of 2018 is very good, but as WFD said the power of the L-2600 is not enough. I picked up a new one and searched a dozen sites like http://bestsinkdisposal.com/, amazon and so on, until I found my Waste King L-8000

Yeah, Waste King L8000 all the way. You need strong torque, high horsepower to avoid clogs. Tbh, Any ¾ or 1 hp disposal would do because the ½ and ⅓ are just too weak to grind whole fruits to mulch so they’re more likely to clog in both the chamber and the tube. The L8000 is built well and is quite affordable. And according to this website I was on last night (Healthy Kitchen 101, I believe it was called), the L8000 has been a bestseller for quite some time.

Just a note that plugging the garbage disposal units into a $25 simple FOOT PEDAL entirely solved the problem of overheating for me. No one here has mentioned this, but it's a pretty easy fix!

Back