Garage Logic - Cylinder Index

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
If you are from Minnesota this may sound familiar to you and I want to give the proper credit. There is a talk show host based in Minneapolis named Joe Soucheray. The name of his afternoon show is "Garage Logic". The mythical town of Garage Logic has its own lexicon and followers/citizens, etc. I am sure I won't do the show justice and I am in no way affiliated with the program or station, but suffice to say it is a good logical discussion of practical living with some politics mixed in, but I am not going political in this thread. No..this is much more important. Engines !!

I notice there are a lot of "Show us your ride", "What do you drive", "Gearhead", etc type threads and I am sure with the DIY crowd we have there are a lot of high "cylinder indexes" around here. What is a Cylinder Index? It is a common used term in Garage Logic to count the number of cylinders one owns. And the discussions that ensue are quite entertaining.

Thought it would be fun to discuss engines (Big & Small) & ownership (Can I count my wife's car?)

My Cylinder Index (C.I.) is 26. Admittedly, mine is woefully low but I strive to increase it at any opportunity. (Yes, I am counting my wife's car)

V8 Engine Vehicles (2) - 16
V-Twin Motorcyle - 2
Riding Lawn Tractor - 2
ATV - 2
Gas Weed Trimmer - 1
Push Mowers (2) - 2
Gas Powered Blender - 1 (same engine as a weed trimmer)
Total - 26

If its got a cylinder & you own it.. Count it.

Car = 6
Boat = 6
Total = 12 (I live in a condo so no gas powered tools)

My car - 6
Wife's car - 4
My Truck - 6
Kz 750 - 4
DT 250 - 1
DT 250 Parts bike - 1
3 mowers - 3
Weedeater - 1
Snow blower - 1
Leaf Blower - 1

28, not counting electric air compressors that have cylinders.... but not used for combustion.

Can you count a vehicle even if it doesn't currently have an engine in it (I have the car and the engine, they're just not together)?

Cars-
Mustang GT: 8
Torino GT Convertible: 8
Fairlane Drag Car: 8
Fairlane Survivor: 6
Grand Caravan: 6
Weed Wacker: 1
Riding Mower: 2
Push Mower: 1
Leaf Blower: 1
Snow Thrower: 1

My Cylinder Index: 42 (34 without the drag car's big block)

What about the two engines in my basement? Can I count those? That'd make it 58 :D

Can you count a vehicle even if it doesn't currently have an engine in it (I have the car and the engine, they're just not together)?

Cars-
Mustang GT: 8
Torino GT Convertible: 8
Fairlane Drag Car: 8
Fairlane Survivor: 6
Grand Caravan: 6
Weed Wacker: 1
Riding Mower: 2
Push Mower: 1
Leaf Blower: 1
Snow Thrower: 1

My Cylinder Index: 42 (34 without the drag car's big block)

What about the two engines in my basement? Can I count those? That'd make it 58 :D

Nice! I was counting any engine, doesn't matter if it works or not.

Hummm.. based on plug count...

Truck - 8
Car - 6
Chrysler Boat Motor - 2
Johnson Boat Motor - 2
Evenrude Boat Motor - 2
Mercury Boat Motor - 2
Polaris ATV - 2
Lawn Mower - 2
Push Mower (2) - 2
Rototiller - 1
Snow Blower - 1
Weed Whip - 1

C.I. of 30 not counting the model airplane plugs. Most of those are at my dad's place where I fly but that's going to be 10 or so. :eek:

Car- 4 (it only weighs 2100lbs...)
Quick Bike- 2
Slow Bike- 4

Total of 10.

Not married, so I can't count SWMBO's car. Although I fixed the two lawn mowers in the garage because neither would start, they actually belong to the landlord, so I can't count those either. But one of the mowers is a two stroke. I don't see how you can't get bonus points for keeping a chinese two stroke lawn mower running... that there is like being a mystical engine ninja.

Hmmm...

Lets see here:
Highlander (V6) - 6
Camry (v6) - 6
Nighthawk - 4
lawnmower - 1
weedeater - 1
blowervac - 1
compressor - 2

Total 21.

Jeep - 6
Durango - 8
Mustang - 8
Lawn Mower - 1
Trimmer - 1
Trimmer - 1
Chainsaw - 1
Boat Motor - 1
Boat Motor - 1
RotoTiller - 1

Total - 29

Oops, snowblower - 1

Total - 30

My car - 6
... not counting electric air compressors that have cylinders.... but not used for combustion.

That's an interesting one..its technically a cylinder, but no spark plug...hmmmm....I'd say it has to be a gas air compressor, or cylinder.

I'd say you can count the cylinders in any engine you own, functioning or not.

my car - 6
wife's car - 6
push mower - 2
leaf blower - 1
leaf mulcher - 1

with the inevitable death of the large V8 due to environmental concerns I'm afraid we're going to see this average decline in the future. :(

I'm sure someone here has a V10. Any V12s out there?

My Cylinder Index (C.I.) is 26. Admittedly, mine is woefully low but I strive to increase it at any opportunity. (Yes, I am counting my wife's car)

V8 Engine Vehicles (2) - 16
V-Twin Motorcyle - 2
Riding Lawn Tractor - 2
ATV - 2
Gas Weed Trimmer - 1
Push Mowers (2) - 2
Gas Powered Blender - 1 (same engine as a weed trimmer)
Total - 26

If its got a cylinder & you own it.. Count it.

Edit - Forgot these

Rototiller - 1
Generator (Gas) - 1 (I think there is just one in that thing..might be 2)

Total - 28

Boat -3
SUV - 8
Truck - 6
Car - 4
RC car- 1
Weed Trimmers -2
Blower - 1
Lawnmower -1
2 generators -2
Chipper -1
Kawasaki jet ski -3

mine=32

I need clarification here. Does it have to do with cylinders? Or with internal combustion? I have some piston-type air pumps, a couple of graduated cylinders, etc.... :cross:

I need clarification here. Does it have to do with cylinders? Or with internal combustion? I have some piston-type air pumps, a couple of graduated cylinders, etc.... :cross:

Here is a direct quote from the "Garage Logic" dictionary...

C.I. (Cylinder Index)

"The total number of internal combustion cylinders in your possession. (vehicles, gas powered equipment, marine and aviation all qualify). If it is less than your age, move on to Euphoria. "

I interpret it to exclude air-pistons/pumps and/or graduate cylinders. We're talking combustion power here !!

For those interested in the full Garage Logic Lexicon, it is quite humorous. Some of the terms/locations are local references to areas around the Minneapolis/St. Paul area, but most are general terms & philosophies of Garage Logic.

My Car ----------- 4
Wifes Car --------- 6
Dump Truck ------ 8
ATV ------------- 4
Chain Saw ------- 1
Weed Wacker ---- 1
Lawn Tractor ----- 2
Goldwing --------- 4
Vulcan ----------- 2
Paslode (butane)-- 1
Push mower ------ 1
6200 watt Gen --- 2
---------------------------
36 CI

Cadillac 8
Astrovan 6
compressor 1
chainsaw 1

total 16

All of my lawn/garden implements are corded electric.

Ok, let's see what we have:

1948 Chrysler Windsor - 8
1954 Chevy truck - 8
1967 VW Bug - 4
Miata - 4
CR-V -4
Dodge Truck - 8
Sportster and Road King - 4

That brings us up to 40...

1996 Chevy C1500----- -------------8
2004 Dodge Neon--------------------4
1979 Yamaha Triple------------------3
1980 Mercury 50h--------------------4
1994 Craftsman riding lawn mower----1
Murray walk-behind mower-----------1
Weedeater---------------------------1
StrikeMaster2000 ice auger-----------1

That's 23 if my ciphering is correct.

BTW I am the first to list an ice auger! woo-hoo!

what about the engine on the wifes vib........lexus.... yea that

Cars 2 - 14
Bike 2
Quad 1
mower 1
weed wacker 1

Back