Garage Lodge!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A few years ago, we bought a lake cottage. It's on a hill, and it was actually designed as a two car garage with an apartment. The people who built it were going to eventually build a house, and keep this cottage as a "carriage house" with the apartment. Last year, I finished half of the garage as a bedroom, but kept the other garage stall since it's so easy for storing kayaks and stuff.
Here are some pictures. This is from the lake side:
DSCF0632.jpg

This is me finishing the one side of the garage:
DSCF0630.jpg

And now, our brand new sign:
DSCF2547.jpg

We have now named our cottage the "Garage Lodge". Everyone is always welcome, if you're in the neighborhood.

...or couchslut.com?

Hello, garagelodge.com? Do you give double reward points? :D

You have got to be the ONLY people I have EVER known to buy a garage without a house on the property...is that REDNECK or what? :rockin:

Heck, Yoopers have much nicer garages than average midwesterners. We'll have a falling down trailer home but have a great four car garage. Most of the Yoopers I know have garages bigger than their homes. That's so we can park all of our toys, like snowmobiles, motorcycles, ATVs, our 4 wheel drive pickups, our riding mowers, our snowblowers, etc. That's important!

Our houses are just where we live.

I'm not a true Yooper, since most of my pursuits are non-motorized. We have a Jon boat, canoes, kayaks, skis, snowshows, etc. I'm getting into "silent sports" in my old age.

Thats a really cool offer though, all jokes aside.

Would a visitor get to drink your beer or what?

Most of the Yoopers I know have garages bigger than their homes.

I resemble that remark! I added a 952 sq ft garage to a 1064 sf house, but the garage has a 12 ft ceiling, so by volume it's much larger than the house. The old 400 sf garage is now the brewery.

I resemble that remark! I added a 952 sq ft garage to a 1064 sf house, but the garage has a 12 ft ceiling, so by volume it's much larger than the house. The old 400 sf garage is now the brewery.

Well, you can be an honorary Yooper, then! I have a big (old) garage, but an even bigger (even older) house, so I'm not the typical Yooper. That's at our house in town. Of course, the cottage being the Garage Lodge mitigates the larger house in town, giving me big garage status.

I will have to stop by for a brew whenever we get up that way, our cottage is on Carpenter lake, not too far from Silver lake at all. it is a small place with a detached 2 1/2 car garage. I would guess it is close to .75:1 garage to cottage ratio. not quite up to yooper standards. Do you think that I could get yooper-points because a car has NEVER been in that garage since it was built 22 years ago. only outboard motors, skiboat, canoe, kayak, sailboat, seadoos, a huge collection of fishingpoles and a fridge containing both beer and bait?

I will have to stop by for a brew whenever we get up that way, our cottage is on Carpenter lake, not too far from Silver lake at all. it is a small place with a detached 2 1/2 car garage. I would guess it is close to .75:1 garage to cottage ratio. not quite up to yooper standards. Do you think that I could get yooper-points because a car has NEVER been in that garage since it was built 22 years ago. only outboard motors, skiboat, canoe, kayak, sailboat, seadoos, a huge collection of fishingpoles and a fridge containing both beer and bait?

You're always welcome, of course.

Do you at least have a dog? You need a dog for the seadoos to give you Yooper points.

Yoop...you're one hot lady! That and your brew skills...your husband and that dog are two lucky fellas.

Well, you certainly get bonus points for the flattery! :D

I called my dad today, my daughter is working, my son is with his dad, so my family is scattered today. It's the first Easter we've all been apart. So I did what any good mom would do with her kids out of the house- I'm brewing!!!!!!

My husband helped me start another batch o chokecherry wine from berries he picked last fall and froze, and he helped me crush the grain (the drill is out at my cottage). So, a 5 gallon batch of chokecherry is in the primary, and a cream ale is in the HERMS right now. :rockin:

Never had chokecherry wine. About all I used them for as a kid was no-cost projectiles for peashooters.

You're always welcome, of course.

Do you at least have a dog? You need a dog for the seadoos to give you Yooper points.

I have two, herding dogs though, not proper hunting dogs. can I at least get an honorable mention? we do the laundry on a fully operational wringer washer and a clothes line! :D

Back