Garage fridge too warm. Still

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay55

Reaction score
I have a Whirlpool freezer on top fridge in my garage with 3 full kegs and a co2 bottle in it. I'm trying to use the tstat in the fridge to get the temp I need-37f so carbonation is what I want and can't decide if putting a temp controller on a keg will get me there or if I'm just fighting environment. Fridge will freeze beer solid, so I know it can get cold enough.

Thought I had it dialed in at 37 til the weather got warmer, so I'm afraid to lower the stat any further and risk freezing my beer- again. Garage temp range is 75-90f. Put a 9in fan blowing on the compressor, and temp is now at 44 degs as measured in a soda can in the fridge.

How can I get the temp where I want it and keep it there?
Is the fridge tstat hurting me here?

I'm all ears and hate warm beer!
Thx, Jay

might be the thermostat that is the problem. i have a very similar kegerator set up in my garage, and it keeps the beer around 40. it's in a garage in texas, in the summer, with a window. sometimes the garage gets to 120 or so, but my beer is still 40

Thanks lumper. This morning the temp in the soda can was down to 40. Good to know you can maintain 40 in such extreme heat. I put a small fan inside to circulate cold air cause it was 5 degs warmer in front than back last week. I wonder if the air leak where the cord passes through the door seal would keep it from staying cold?

The settings on your refrigerator usually don’t correspond very well to temperature. We get used to turning it up in the summer and turning it down in the winter. You need something better to compensate for the relatively wide temperature swings in your garage.

Oh, and I’m guessing your fan is pointed at the condenser, the warm coils on the back, not the compressor, the electric pump. If it isn’t, it should be.

I have a freezer in my garage and it can get a 100+ in there. I use an STC-1000 to controll the temperatures. It will turn on the compressor until the temperature I set is met and then it turns it off.

Back