Garage fermentation temp control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the sponge for?
And the ferwrap would be ok out i the garage? 'm assuming to the freezer I can set to off, being cold out and only needing heat?

Sponge is to keep the temp probe insulated from the air inside the chest freezer . Yes if you dont need to cool the beer just keep warm a fermwrap with an inkbird is all you need . Keeping a sponge on the probe keeps the desired temp more stable imo.

Sponge is to keep the temp probe insulated from the air inside the chest freezer . Yes if you dont need to cool the beer just keep warm a fermwrap with an inkbird is all you need . Keeping a sponge on the probe keeps the desired temp more stable imo.

Ah, ok, makes sense. I'm hoping the cold air from the garage won't interfere too much with the temp inside the keezer.

Ok, so, update. Moved into a new house and have a huge basement. Still thinking of building an insulated box to house either the Fast ferment conical or carboys and using a heat mat to heat the inside of the box. Now my question is, can I just put a heat mat in the box, close the door or lid and leave it next to the conical or carboy without it being attached to it? Has anyone tried this method? I'd have a temp controller also.

Ok, so, update. Moved into a new house and have a huge basement. Still thinking of building an insulated box to house either the Fast ferment conical or carboys and using a heat mat to heat the inside of the box. Now my question is, can I just put a heat mat in the box, close the door or lid and leave it next to the conical or carboy without it being attached to it? Has anyone tried this method? I'd have a temp controller also.
I use this heat mat in my chest freezer. It is attached to the back wall of the freezer and heats the space rather than being in contact with my fermenters. Works well but seems to use a fair amount of electricity.

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Hom...Temperature-Control/Brewers-Edge-Space-Heater

Now my question is, can I just put a heat mat in the box, close the door or lid and leave it next to the conical or carboy without it being attached to it? Has anyone tried this method? I'd have a temp controller also.

Like @Witherby, I have the heat mat taped to the back wall of my 'fermentation chamber', which is a chest freezer and not around the vessel. Works great!

Mine doesn't use much electricity but it's only good for about 20F. If I need more than that, I toss in a wad of Christmas lights. I just hate doing that because they aren't waterproof, although they do have their own inline fuse...

Back