Garage door opener

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArroganceFan

Reaction score
Hey all,

Just wondering what type of drive is considered best for a garage door opener. Or does it matter? Any tips on installation?

Chamberlain from Costco worked great for me. After unpacking it in the garage at 99+ degrees, I looked at the thousands of screws & such and the 1-800 number in the manual. I called and asked how much to install. $100 you say? When can you get here?

One of the Best $100 bucks I've ever spent. Came home from work, and the puppy was professionally installed and I popped a beer. :D

I put in a Genie Screw drive from Lowe's (blue box) a few weeks ago to replace the relic that was there when I bought my house. It works great now, but the install was a pain in the ass. I expected it to be easy since I had the mounting location from my old chain drive opener. However, the rail for it is like 5-6" tall versus 2-3" for a chain/belt drive, so I had to get a low headroom kit for my garage door. Before I did that, the door would hit the rail on the upswing.

Since it's in I've been nothing but happy with it. The screw drive seems quieter than others, and it was easy to program to the Homelink on my Mazda's rear view mirror.

I have the Wayne Dalton iDrive which used to be carried by Lowes but is no longer.
http://www.waynedalton.com/DirectDrive.asp

Now you have to buy/install through a dealer.

idriveTM_Spring.gif

As you can see, it does not occupy any head space. It's uber quiet.

EDIT: Not my garage, car, or modern art. (I keep my Jackson Pollack in the guest bathroom) :)

Mr. Handyman himself, taken down by a garage door opener. Nice to know you're human and have weaknesses after all! ;)

EdWort said:
Chamberlain from Costco worked great for me. After unpacking it in the garage at 99+ degrees, I looked at the thousands of screws & such and the 1-800 number in the manual. I called and asked how much to install. $100 you say? When can you get here?

One of the Best $100 bucks I've ever spent. Came home from work, and the puppy was professionally installed and I popped a beer. :D

Back