Gamma Seal Lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotlgw

Reaction score
Has anybody else swapped out the lid on their plastic fermentation bucket for a Gamma Seal Lid? I have had a beer in primary for about 36 hours now, seeing a lot of foam and smelling fermentation, yet the complete lack of activity in the fermentation lock leads me to believe that BYO magazine's advice on improving the airtight seal on my bucket has had quite the opposite effect...

I was about to post this same question. Fermentation is good and strong but no airlock activity. If I turn the lid tight but not too tight I can get them to seal.

Never heard of these before but checked the website. They seem to make sense.

I thought I would add that you don't really need an airlock, specifically. They are great as a visual indicator of fermentation, but if you have your procedures down and feel comfortable w/o one then go for it. If the bucket lid is a touch loose that is adequate to allow CO2 to escape.

Aside from the sealing aspect, how do you guys like the lids?

AGBrewer said:
Hell of a lot easier to open than the snap ones

Yeah, but the lack of seal makes me nervous, and the snap-on collar into which the lid screws hangs over a bit, so you never can quite pour everything out.

Still not sure if it was worth the cost. I would not recommend doing what I did and ordering direct, as I paid as much for shipping as the actual item.

coyotlgw said:
Yeah, but the lack of seal makes me nervous, and the snap-on collar into which the lid screws hangs over a bit, so you never can quite pour everything out.

Still not sure if it was worth the cost. I would not recommend doing what I did and ordering direct, as I paid as much for shipping as the actual item.
Pour? You said you followed byo's instructions, didn't you put the spigot in the bottom?

AGBrewer said:
Pour? You said you followed byo's instructions, didn't you put the spigot in the bottom?

Heh... no this was for my fermenter... wanted to keep separate from the bottling bucket. Good point though.

Actually, you can put a spigot in your primary and when it comes time to rack it to keg/bottling bucket all you need to do is pop it open! Better bottles have this racking spigot as an option, too.

Eventually you will have to pour out the trub and other material during the post fermentation cleaning. I have 2 gamma seals that I have on 6.5 gallon bucktes. I use them for grain storage.

Any advice on removing the Gamma Seal lid fixture if i want to go back to the old lid? Does not seem to want to come off...

Back