Gambrinus ESB Pale Malt... The smells!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EtchyLives

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used GEPM awhile back but moved to more readily available Maris Otter for the last couple years. Got another couple sacks of GEPM to mix things up after a hiatus and made a wort with 94% base Malt.

The grain smell was unbelievably good. All the scents normally attributed to MO in spades with this malt. Also, really good efficiency (82%) with a big grain bill. Once this beer ferments out I'll give more impressions on the resulting flavor but for now I'm pretty sold on this grain as an MO replacement.

There are a lot of good pale ale malts made from different barley varieties that can be used instead of MO. Each of them seems to have slightly different character and aroma and it depends on the recipe and your taste buds which one you find most enjoyable. Gambrinus is malted from some Canadian 2-row, then there are British Golden Promise, Pearl, Halcyon, Flagon, Propino, Concerto, Chevallier etc. variety pale malts malted in much the same way so a lot of closely related things to experiment with.

Last edited:
There are a lot of good pale ale malts made from different barley varieties that can be used instead of MO. Each of them seems to have slightly different character and aroma and it depends on the recipe and your taste buds which one you find most enjoyable. Gambrinus is malted from some Canadian 2-row, then there are British Golden Promise, Pearl, Halcyon, Flagon, Propino, Concerto, Chevallier etc. variety pale malts malted in much the same way so a lot of closely related things to experiment with.
One of the guys at my LHBS was talking ESBs with me. He's using Maris Otter, Pearl, and Golden Promise for his base malts. I'll have to chat with him some more about his grain bill and start experimenting.

Back