Double IPA Gambler IPA (2018 Iron Brewer Competition Winner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MGamber

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Gigayeast Vermont IPA
Yeast Starter
1.5L 1.040
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Light gold
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 @ 70
Tasting Notes
Lush tropical flavors with the faintest hint of fresh chives from the Apollo. Smooth but packs a punch.
11 lb Golden Promise
2 lb Flaked Wheat
1.25 lb Dextrose Flameout

Boil addition (all 10 min):
0.25 oz Apollo
1 oz Mosaic
1 oz Simcoe
4 tsp Yeast nutrient
1 Whirlfloc

30 minute steep starting at 180 degrees:
3 oz Mosaic
3 oz Citra
1 oz Simcoe
0.25 oz Apollo

Dry hop 1 starting on day 4 of fermentation:
1 oz Apollo
1 oz Citra
1 oz Mosaic
1 oz Simcoe

Dry hop 2 bagged in serving keg for life of the beer:
2 oz Mosaic
2 oz Citra
1 oz Simcoe

Below is how I do things, your mileage may vary. :)

I start with RO water and add 5g of Gypsum, 4g of CaCl and 1g of Epsom Salt. THe sparge (batch) water gets 2 ml of lactic acid. Mash for 60 minutes at 150 degrees, then a 75 minute boil. Drop wort temperature to 180 and add the steep hops. The lid should be OFF for the duration of the steep. Transfer wort to fermenter and hit with 90 seconds of oxygen. Build a BIG starter of Gigayeast Vermont IPA yeast and pitch at 65 degrees. Hold at 65 for 7 days, then raise fermentation temperature to 70 to encourage yeast clean up.

The first dry hop goes in the fermenter on day 4 of active fermentation. After 5 days, transfer beer from fermenter to an oxygen purged serving keg with the second dry hop bagged and in the keg. Let the keg sit for 3 or 4 days, then apply CO2 for carbonation and tap the keg.

I do everything in kegs and push the beer around with CO2. You can get away with using US-05 (or another "clean" yeast) by double pitching. I like Vermont IPA yeast because it's aggressive and, when fermented low, esters are minimal. Due to the amount of hops and everything in kegs, I use a screen tube in the kettle to contain the hops and bag the dry hops.

That's right....18.5 ounces of hops in a 5 gallon batch. Not the cheapest beer to make but it sure is good! Myself and several friends did a side-by-side of this beer and Bissell Brother's "Swish" and it's the same beer.

This beer won the category "New England IPA" and "Brewer's Choice" in the Lancaster Iron Brewer Competition.

Last edited:
11 lb Golden Promise
2 lb Flaked Wheat
1.25 lb Dextrose Flameout

Boil addition (all 10 min):
0.25 oz Apollo
1 oz Mosaic
1 oz Simcoe
4 tsp Yeast nutrient
1 Whirlfloc

30 minute steep starting at 180 degrees:
3 oz Mosaic
3 oz Citra
1 oz Simcoe
0.25 oz Apollo

Dry hop 1 starting on day 4 of fermentation:
1 oz Apollo
1 oz Citra
1 oz Mosaic
1 oz Simcoe

Dry hop 2 bagged in serving keg for life of the beer:
2 oz Mosaic
2 oz Citra
1 oz Simcoe

Below is how I do things, your mileage may vary. :)

I start with RO water and add 5g of Gypsum, 4g of CaCl and 1g of Epsom Salt. THe sparge (batch) water gets 2 ml of lactic acid. Mash for 60 minutes at 150 degrees, then a 75 minute boil. Drop wort temperature to 180 and add the steep hops. The lid should be OFF for the duration of the steep. Transfer wort to fermenter and hit with 90 seconds of oxygen. Build a BIG starter of Gigayeast Vermont IPA yeast and pitch at 65 degrees. Hold at 65 for 7 days, then raise fermentation temperature to 70 to encourage yeast clean up.

The first dry hop goes in the fermenter on day 4 of active fermentation. After 5 days, transfer beer from fermenter to an oxygen purged serving keg with the second dry hop bagged and in the keg. Let the keg sit for 3 or 4 days, then apply CO2 for carbonation and tap the keg.

I do everything in kegs and push the beer around with CO2. You can get away with using US-05 (or another "clean" yeast) by double pitching. I like Vermont IPA yeast because it's aggressive and, when fermented low, esters are minimal. Due to the amount of hops and everything in kegs, I use a screen tube in the kettle to contain the hops and bag the dry hops.

That's right....18.5 ounces of hops in a 5 gallon batch. Not the cheapest beer to make but it sure is good! Myself and several friends did a side-by-side of this beer and Bissell Brother's "Swish" and it's the same beer.

This beer won the category "New England IPA" and "Brewer's Choice" in the Lancaster Iron Brewer Competition.
About to brew this tomorrow, just wanted to check about the batch size...it’s an overloaded term it seems :) is that volume into fermenter?

Seems strange that this recipe didn't get much response. I'm brewing it in a few weeks, although I thought I have enough Mosaic but after checking the freezer I may need more, or I might swap out with the Warrior I've got squirreled away. Also couldn't locate Apollo so I sub'd that with Zeus. I'll reply once I brew and follow up with a tasting.

@eugles I would assume the 5 gal meant to packaging.

I just tried it for the first time...still young and a bit astringent, but definitely good. I'm not tasting the dankness I remember having in Bissell Beers...guess more apollo next time :)

I don’t recall swish being particularly bitter. Definitely has a bite on the finish but I always thought Substance was noticably more bitter than Swish. This honestly looks a little like a heady/focal crossover though which sounds dope

Back