Gallons of cider made 2023

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on man! Is this all so far? I've got another six plus just laid in a gallon for Jack. Those usually take at last four weeks.

15.25 + 7 = 22.25

Well in that case, I just made 31 gallons (my Kroger had Indian Summer apple juice on clearance for $2/gal).

22.25 + 31.0 = 53.25
Good job on catching that sale. I ran into the problem of fermenting too soon, so I stockpile the juice when on sale, but only ferment what the household will consume so that it doesn't get too tart, or worse.
AJx26Gallons.png

Well in that case, I just made 31 gallons (my Kroger had Indian Summer apple juice on clearance for $2/gal).

22.25 + 31.0 = 53.25
$2/gallon?!? I suddenly hate your face! It is a joke. I'm using Great Value 3 qt for $3. Color me jealous.

That said, another week, another 2 gals.

53.25 + 2 = 55.25

10 gal Louisburg Original, 6 gal Mangrove Jack's cider kit, 3 gal cortland/liberty blend, 1 gal Arkansas black and 3 gal perry. So 23 gal total!

55.25 + 23 = 78.25

I've also made 4 gal of ginger wine, 1.5 gal grapefruit wine and 2 gal feijoa wine, but I do them "cider style". Sparkling and about 8% abv. Do these count? Or no apples, no way?

Depends on where you are in the world. US, UK and most of Europe, cider = apples and any other fermented fruit is wine. In Italy, wine = grapes and any other fermented fruit is cider. Go figure.

According the US legal code:
The term wine applies "...only if containing not less than 7 per centum and not more than 24 per centum of alcohol by volume."
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/27/211
I'm not sure that there is a clear rule for the a general term for a fermented beverage with less than 7% ABV made from a fruit other than apples, such as hard lemonade or hard ginger ale. If they are at least 7% ABV, then in the US they are legally "wine."

If I am reading this article correctly, it sounds like in the EU only beverages made from fermented grapes can legally be sold as "wine." European Union wine regulations - Wikipedia Maybe someone in the EU can shed some light on this.

Of course, since making it for your own consumption you can call it anything you want.

According the US legal code:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/27/211
I'm not sure that there is a clear rule for the a general term for a fermented beverage with less than 7% ABV made from a fruit other than apples, such as hard lemonade or hard ginger ale. If they are at least 7% ABV, then in the US they are legally "wine."

If I am reading this article correctly, it sounds like in the EU only beverages made from fermented grapes can legally be sold as "wine." European Union wine regulations - Wikipedia Maybe someone in the EU can shed some light on this.

Of course, since making it for your own consumption you can call it anything you want.
I believe that the US legal definitions exist for tax purposes - wine is taxed at a higher rate than cider and less than liquor.

We had a member here from the UK who asked about making "grape cider". It seems there was a local pub selling low ABV sparkling wine on tap and he wanted to duplicate it. Google was failing him ;)

Just bottled gallon #1 for me this year. Pasteurized Local Cider and Nottingham Yeast. Bottle Carb'd.

81.5 + 1 gallon Basic Hard Cider

= 82.5 gallons

2 gal base apple cider, 1 gal tart cherry cider, 1 gal mulberry cider and 1 gal cyser (my first):

82.5 + 5 = 87.5

Five more weeks, ten more gallons. Used Cote's instead of EC-1118 for my jack, and it is taking a long time. this winter here has been a bit colder than usual.

87.5 + 10 = 97.5

Hmm. I've been thinking about making some hooch from a grape juice, white or dark, but never thought the grape and apple would go together.
I read somewhere on here that mixing some white grape juice into the apple juice makes for a more "white wine" flavor. The grape juice did have sorbate in its ingredients, but that was diluted by the apple juice and fermentation did kick off eventually. Hasn't finished yet though, so I can't speak of the results.

Kicked off two more gallons last Friday as well as started another of Jack.

98.75 + 3 = 101.75

Gonna have to compare this some day to the other threads.

Got some cider fermenting that I will eventually hit with blueberries. I added some honey, but not enough that I feel like calling it cyser.

120 + 1.75 = 121.75

Alrighty then. Now five weeks, that's ten gallons plus one I put back last Friday for more special cider. I love summer time up here in the high country, Nottingham just hates it up here in the winter.

124.75 = 11 = 135.75

Another five weeks, let's see. That's normally ten. Then I did do another gallon for apple jack three weeks ago. And two weeks ago I decided to go up a gallon a week to three, so that's two more. Plus the three I'm starting today, that's sixteen.

147.25 + 16 = 163.25

4 gallons apple cider
1 gal pineapple jalapeno cider
1 gal mustang grape cider
1 gal ginger cider
1 gal cranberry thyme cider
1 gal peach basil cider
1 gal watermelon mint cider

10 gallons total!

163.25 + 10 = 173.25

4 gallons apple cider
1 gal pineapple jalapeno cider
1 gal mustang grape cider
1 gal ginger cider
1 gal cranberry thyme cider
1 gal peach basil cider
1 gal watermelon mint cider

10 gallons total!

163.25 + 10 = 173.25
5 gallons of hard cider
5 gallons of Rose' cider
3 gallons of wild cider
1 gallon experimental cider
2.5 gallon solera cider

16.5 gallons!

173.25+16.5 = 189.75

My first ferments in a new home - just something quick and easy because this is a busy time!
White-Cran Peach Cider
Simple Cider
=
189.75 + 1.75 = 191.5

Latest posts

Back