Galaxy IPA advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DefinitelyJon

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing an IPA with some galaxy hops. Here is the recipe, tell me what chall think

Title: Galaxy IPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.059
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.071
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 7.03%
IBU (tinseth): 57.96
SRM (morey): 10.5

FERMENTABLES:
9.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (73.1%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (7.7%)
0.5 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (3.8%)
2 lb - American - Vienna (15.4%)

HOPS:
0.6 oz - galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 31.55
0.5 oz - galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 15.92
1 oz - galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Aroma for 5 min, IBU: 10.48
1 oz - galaxy, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 15, Use: Dry Hop for 0 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 153 F, Time: 60 min

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056

Looks really good! I'm going to be doing a southern hemisphere ipa soon, too, I'll be using Galaxy, Pacific Jade and Nelson Sauvign.

Two thoughts:

1) With over 7% caramel malt, I don't think you need to add another 3% of carapils; leaving it out would tend to make the beer a little drier, as would decreasing the caramel.

2) increasing the amount of dry hops for this beer might be worth considering, I almost always use at least 3 ounces on IPAs and sometimes more

Let us know how it turns out!

standard response: less crystal, more hops.

i'd cut the crystal/cp by half and triple those late and dry hop additions.

Sounds good. I was thinking bout taking out the flavor hop and just adding it at the end. I do have 4 ounces of these hops so I may as well throw it all in there

I'm curious how this turned out/will turn out. I'm considering buying a bunch of galaxy hops (for the name) in a series of "star wars themed" beers and wondering how the flavor profile turns out.

I'm curious how this turned out/will turn out. I'm considering buying a bunch of galaxy hops (for the name) in a series of "star wars themed" beers and wondering how the flavor profile turns out.

Still have about a week left but pulled out a sample the other day and it tastes awesome. I'll let ya know In a week or so when I get to kegging

Also updated the recipe taking out the carapils, cutting down the crystal and adding a lot more finishing and dry hops

Looks like I'm a little late and you already took some of the suggestions, but here's my 2c anyway...

My Rye Pale Ale I'm drinking/just rebrewed is all Galaxy, and it's great. Galaxy is very, very tropical, and it's big and juicy. Great hop for this style.

Like the others have said, that's a hell of a lot of crystal for this style. If you're going East Coast-style, I'd cut the C60 to maybe 12oz and cut the C-pils entirely (and add base malt back to relcaim the gravity). If you're going West Coast style, I'd cut both the 60 and the c-pils almost entirely, and replace it with maybe a half pound of sugar, and the rest base malt.

I tend to like IPAs around a 1:1 gravity to bitterness ratio. I'd double all your late additions and triple the dry hops, add a 2 oz 10 or 15 min addition as well as a 2 oz flameout/whirlpool addition, and then adjust your 60 min addition up or down to hit about 70 IBUs (more or less depending on if you decide to change the gravity).

I'd also mash that a bit lower. 150-151.

Looks like I'm a little late and you already took some of the suggestions, but here's my 2c anyway...

My Rye Pale Ale I'm drinking/just rebrewed is all Galaxy, and it's great. Galaxy is very, very tropical, and it's big and juicy. Great hop for this style.

Like the others have said, that's a hell of a lot of crystal for this style. If you're going East Coast-style, I'd cut the C60 to maybe 12oz and cut the C-pils entirely (and add base malt back to relcaim the gravity). If you're going West Coast style, I'd cut both the 60 and the c-pils almost entirely, and replace it with maybe a half pound of sugar, and the rest base malt.

I tend to like IPAs around a 1:1 gravity to bitterness ratio. I'd double all your late additions and triple the dry hops, add a 2 oz 10 or 15 min addition as well as a 2 oz flameout/whirlpool addition, and then adjust your 60 min addition up or down to hit about 70 IBUs (more or less depending on if you decide to change the gravity).

I'd also mash that a bit lower. 150-151.

Ended up cutting the cpils and then cutting the caramel to 8 oz. I put 2 oz hops at 5 minutes, 2 at flameout and 3 oz for dry hop to use up the rest I had. I think the bitterness ended up being around 55 ibu. Which I didn't want it super bitter, but I probly could've added a bit more for bittering

Back