Galaxy IPA Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhurt

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for advice on a single hop galaxy IPA. This will be the first recipe that I've formulated myself (previously I've been using Jamil's recipes, with a few modifications), so I'd like anyone's advice on my grain bill/hop schedule.

Here goes:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 8.58 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67%
Est O.G.: 1.066
SRM: 7.2
IBU: 64.3

13.5 lbs Canada Malting Superior 2-Row (90%)
12.0 oz Munich Malt (5.0%)
8.0 oz Crystal 40L (3.3%)
4.0 oz Crystal 60L (1.7%)

1.00 oz Galaxy (15.2% AA) 60 min
1.25 oz Galaxy 15 min
2.00 oz Galaxy 0 min (flame out)
2.00 oz Galaxy Dry Hop (7-10 Days)

Safale US-05 Yeast

Mash temp: 154 F for 60 min

I've found that most of my ales fermented with US-05 or 1056 have fermented a bit on the dry side, hence the slightly increased mash temperature. In the past I've mashed at 150-152 and most of my beers come in a little less malty than I'd like. I'd really like the galaxy hop flavours and aromas to shine with this brew, so that's why I've got a big aroma addition and a big dry hop.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance!

Galaxy is a great hop. It all looks fine. If anything I'd jack up the amount of Galaxy in flameout & dry hop OR sneak in some Citra or Nelson with it. Galaxy has some awesome tropical peachy danky notes in my experience, but is much more one-dimensional than Citra.

I am a huge fan of Galaxy. I've spent the last 6 months working up a pale ale recipe based around Galaxy. My first attempt was all Galaxy, and while it smelled amazing and tasted good, the problem we found was that it smelled dramatically different than it tasted. My latest variation uses Galaxy for first wort hops, a combination of Galaxy and Magnum for bittering, then combining Galaxy, Centennial, and Cascade at 20/10/0. My latest variation is a more mellow 5%, while the 2nd variation was probably closer to an IPA than a pale ale, coming out at just over 6% and over 80 IBU. You should definitely experiment with it and see how it meets your personal preferences. Once you get it brewed up, let us know how it turns out!

Great advice guys. I'm still relatively new to home brewing (only been doing it for about 9 months) and galaxy is a new hop for me so I'm going to try the single hop route first just to get to know it's character, and then possibly combine with other complimentary hops. I'll probably brew this mid-august so I'll let you know how it turns out! Thanks!

Just picked up a pound of Galaxy myself, thanks for all of the ideas! I think I might try an Amarillo, Citra Galaxy combo in an IPA.

Back