Galaxy Apollo and comet combo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drays14

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going to be brewing up an IPA or pale ale this weekend. I've never used these hops but I've been wanting to try them. Does anyone have advice using these hops? I got kind of sick using the same hops and want to branch out. Here's my hop schedule assuming its a pale ale.

0.5 oz Galaxy FWH
0.5 oz Comet FWH
0.25 oz Apollo 60 min
0.25 oz Galaxy 10 min
0.25 oz Comet 10 min
0.25 oz Galaxy 5 min
0.25 oz Comet 5 min

Thanks for the help! IBUs come in right around 45 for this.

Go heavier on the Galaxy than the Apollo. Galaxy is tropical fruit with light pine/dankness. Apollo is very dank and resinous, and strong. I would go 3:1 ratio of Galaxy to Apollo. No experience with Comet. Also, definitely bitter with just Apollo. Save the other two for the end of the boil.

I would go:

X oz Apollo @ 60
1 oz Comet @ Hopstand
1 oz Galaxy @ Hopstand
.25 oz Apollo @ Hopstand

And for this amount of hops, keep it in the pale ale gravity range.

+1 bitter with Apollo. I have used all three in an IPA, good combo. Throw in some Mosaic as well. I frequently use Apollo and Comet together, very much grapefruit. Galaxy and Mosaic bring a nice tropical fruit flavor to balance that out.

I have used Galaxy many times. It is a very potent late addition hop. I think it would pair well with Comet as late additions. Definitely bitter with Apollo, it offers a far better bittering result. Galaxy is an amazing fruity, melony, citrusy bomb and Comet is grapefruity. They will also rock as dry-hops.

Perfect that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to end up doing this in a black IPA. We'll see how it turns out!

Back