Galaxy and Equinox IPA??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsvinth34

Reaction score
Has anybody tried pairing these two hops before in an ipa? If so what would be a suggestion for a good hop schedule? I have 2oz packs of these two (total 4oz of equinox and plethora of galaxy) and curious how they pair. Any help is appreciated

I've used them both but not together. For an IPA Id use a solid bittering hop like Warrior or Columbus which ever you prefer to about 35-40ibu. Then do a massive hopstand or whirlpool with equal parts of the 2 hops, aiming for about 150g for a 5Gal batch to get another 30-40ibu which will also provide a good amount of oils for flavour.

On the dry hop, the equinox can be for 5-7days however the Galaxy you want to do for 2-3 days max, after that at high volumes you can extract a grassy note to the flavour, not desirable.

What malt bill were you planning ?

Trying to recover my all galaxy ipa grain bill but it's not on my phone right now... I want to say it's was like 10 pounds 2row then a small amount of Cara 40 for color and additional abv, should total about 12 pounds all together

I have not done both Galaxy and Equinox together. But in using Equinox I can tell you it easily overpowers due to its high oil content. So depending on what you're going for definitely keep that in mind. Maybe 2:1 Galaxy:Equinox would be good

I am working on an IPA using RedX malt and with Galaxy and Equinox but it won't be brewed for a few more weeks.
I am concerned about the comments on Equinox with many getting more of the green pepper than the tropical side so I'm likely going to be using the Equinox for 5 minutes, flameout and dry hop only until I can see what I get from them.

They will go fine together, but IMO, you are going to need a lot more to make an IPA. You could give a shot at a pale ale using a different hop for bittering and using all of those late/post boil

Beware: equinox can be VERY OVERWHELMING, even in small portion. I'd make a single hop from both and let the galaxy be it's own star. I've played with equinox a lot,and even in 1/10 the amount of other hops, it cut through as dank and peppery as ever. YMMV.

I haven't brewed with Galaxy yet, but I do have a pound in my freezer.

I have not been happy with Equinox at all. I really pick up on the "green pepper" flavor/aroma, even in small amounts. I would advise using it lightly.

For example, I just finished a keg of beer that had 4oz Mosiac/2oz Equinox in the hop stand and 4oz Mosiac/2oz Equinox in the dry hop. The Equinox flavor, surprisingly, completely over powered the Mosiac with it's "green pepper" flavor.

I brewed another beer a couple months ago that was 2:1 Citra/Equinox, and even as strong as Citra is, I still got an unpleasant Equinox flavor/aroma.

With that being said, I made one beer that had Equinox in it that was great. Of the 6oz hopstand only 1 oz was Equinox, the other 5 were all different varieties. The 6 oz dry hop consisted of 1.5oz Equinox, 1.5 oz Amarillo, 1.5oz Mosiac and 1.5oz Citra. That beer was fantastic. Since there was 7 different hop varieties in this beer, it must have had enough going on to hide the "green pepper" flavor/aroma.

Anyways, my advise is use to use very, very little if you're only using two hop varieties. Like, an ounce or ounce-and-a-half for flavoring and and ounce or ounce-and-a-half for the dry hop. Then again, I'm not fond at all of Equinox, so YMMV.

Back