Gabf

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trboyden

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is it just me or is it totally wrong that AB and MillerCoors win medals at GABF for Bud Select and Miller High Life?! Of course, based on the number of medals given out, it seems like they gave a medal to any brewery that entered. Maybe the GABF lacks any credibility in the first place, but to me, this erases any credibility they may of had. Especially when beers made of rice and fish guts win gold medals.

For what they enter, I believe the medals are worth it. The fact is what they make are great examples of the styles they win. The fact remains a majority of craft breweries do not make light lagers or pilsners, and the few that do have a lot of work to really compete with BMC.

Over 4,300 beers entered into the competition, 250 medals awarded. These bits of stamped metal are not just given away.

Remember that one year when that craft brewer entered spring water under the American Light Lager category? The judges awarded him second place with comments like, "Too much malt presence.", "Pronounced hop aroma." etc. They got beat by Bud Light...

I'm kidding of course. If we can't pick on BMC, who CAN we pick on?

Well they win medals because they basically have their own category and most craft breweries do not produce beers in that category so they win something every year. I dont care if they do and it wont change my mind to buy any of their products.

For what they enter, I believe the medals are worth it. The fact is what they make are great examples of the styles they win. The fact remains a majority of craft breweries do not make light lagers or pilsners, and the few that do have a lot of work to really compete with BMC.

This I have to disagree with.
They won a gold medal in American style cream ale.....NATURAL ICE.

I laughed and cried at the same time.

I mean, I guess its possible that nobody else, besides Pabst, entered a cream ale into the competition, but certainly out of the thousands of micro breweries in the US, somebody makes a cream ale that can give Natty Ice a run for its money.

Good grief.

Next time I go into the ghetto quickie mart, i'm going to put a post-it-note on the Natty Ice 40oz display that says "GABF GOLD MEDAL WINNER". I wonder if AB is going to start rationing it like Pliney?

FWIW:

Category 33: American-Style Lager 42 Entries

Category 34: American-Style Cream Ale, 37 Entries

Actually, quite a few entries, more then many other categories!

I think it is more then just MC/AB entering....

37 entries!!!! Does the pounding headache not tell the GABF judges this might not be the best option for gold?
And don't even get me started on Leinenkugel's take on a kolsch winning gold for the "German Style Kolsch".

aww jeebus, now i'm bitchin like my mother in law.

Whilst you may not agree with the categories (33 & 34), 27 other categories had less then 37 entries - one as low as 14!

Back