G coupler Keg conversion to ball lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCRochabrew

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All.

I have 1 50 litre keg with a G coupler and a 30 litre keg with a G coupler that I want to convert to ball lock for pressure fermentation.
Are there kits available for it?
Looking into the internet, I´m just finding ball lock conversion for 2" inch and the G copuler keg is 60 mm diameter of the opening

I use a quarter barrel to ferment in. The the spear opening is 2 inches. The outer diameter is 2 3/8 inches. The 2 inch tri clam fits perfectly. I’ll send a link to the item I use.

I use a quarter barrel to ferment in. The the spear opening is 2 inches. The outer diameter is 2 3/8 inches. The 2 inch tri clam fits perfectly. I’ll send a link to the item I use.
Mind, the OP is using G couplers, and chances are is not in the U.S. where D couplers are commonly used.

Hi.
Please see atached photos

Attachments

• 20220530_135517.jpg
    20220530_135517.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220530_135658.jpg
    20220530_135658.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
The outer diameter of mine is 2 7/16 inches. That is equal to 61.9 mm. Photo below.

With the small ID and triangular cut-outs, a 2" TC fitting is unlikely to fit. Is there any problem with just attaching your spunding valve to a regular G-coupler? If you have the Kegland ball-lock valve you can just use an adapter: Sanke Coupler Ball Lock Gas Post

hi
I use the g couplers in south Africa and simply attach the spunding valve to the gas out of the coupler after removing the one way valve and blocking the beer out.

Thanks. Will do and let you know.

It is a great thing that the homebrewers share the info. With this posts, I will save some money and use what I already have.

Thanks to all
Regards

Hi. I removed the spear and the diameter is 50 mm
That's the ID, right? What's the OD, about 2 4/8" (about 64mm)? A 2" TC tapping head, as linked above, is going to fit just fine. How TC ferrules are measured isn't as straightforward as sometimes assumed. Anyway, thought I'd add that because the tapping head is a much better option, IME.

That's the ID, right? What's the OD, about 2 4/8" (about 64mm)? A 2" TC tapping head, as linked above, is going to fit just fine. How TC ferrules are measured isn't as straightforward as sometimes assumed. Anyway, thought I'd add that because the tapping head is a much better option, IME.
Thank you

Hi.

Why do I need to remove the one way valve - the one way valve is on the liquid side- to conect the spuding valve to the gas post?

If I use both ball lock posts - gas and liquid- I can leave the liquid post disconected and use the gas to conect the spudning valve.
Does this make sense?

Not sure about g couplers but in a d coupler the gas line has a one way valve in it to stop beer from pushing up the gas line. You need to remove this piece for using a spunding valve as obviously it wouldn’t spund if the gas cannot push out to the spunding valve.

Edited for spelling error.

Last edited:
Back