Furlough Day = Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJoyce85

Reaction score
Well, fellow government employees, furloughs start next week.

Who has brew days planned on their furlough days?

I work for the State, not the Fed. We managed to scrape by the last 4 years without furloughs, but our staff is down about 15%.

My mother-in-law is getting hit with them though. My mom retired a few years ago but had to deal with the shutdowns in the 90s.

Good luck.

Im a state employee as well... And im considered "Essential" so I am mandated to show up even if our paychecks are on hold for a month or two. Thankfully I haven't seen that happen yet but it has in the past.

I'm laid off this week. Not state or federal, just general maintenance related. Oh you said next week? Either way just brewed Janet's brown ale and plan to do BCS imperial IPA this week also. Cheers.

grathan said:
I'm laid off this week. Not state or federal, just general maintenance related. Oh you said next week? Either way just brewed Janet's brown ale and plan to do BCS imperial IPA this week also. Cheers.

The way I see is, laid off or furloughed, still unpaid time and it sucks. I work at a government school and am 1 of only 3 12 month employees so I get 11 furlough days while everyone else that is a 9 month employee (teachers) only get 5 days. Luckily, I am fortunate to have the GI Bill and that covers me.

I got to choose my furlough days over summer break and will be brewing on several of them as I should have plenty of time to be emptying kegs with my time off!

Yessir. Gonna start brewing all my winter ales I have planned to take north when I go to visit my dad for X-mas so they have ample aging time.

I'm just glad they managed to get it pushed back to only 11 weeks. I think if it would have stayed with the original 20-something weeks it was supposed to be I wouldn't have been able to make it even with a PT job. As it is I'll be relying on my Nat'l Guard AFTP's to supplement.

There's two of us at the facility that brew, but my buddy is Nat'l Guard AGR rather than MilTech, so he got spared.

Way to make lemonade. I'm a contractor so it hasn't hit us directly, but I can't believe the federal government won't be scrutinizing their contracts to decide which ones can be canceled (they all have a clause in them that lets them do that in the right situation). It hasn't hit us yet, but it will, and pretty hard.

Enoch52 said:
Way to make lemonade. I'm a contractor so it hasn't hit us directly, but I can't believe the federal government won't be scrutinizing their contracts to decide which ones can be canceled (they all have a clause in them that lets them do that in the right situation). It hasn't hit us yet, but it will, and pretty hard.

If I can't change it, might as well roll with it. I work for some pretty awesome people and because it is a 60 mile one way trip for me, they are going to extend my hours per day and I only have to work 3 days a week until the end of August. Minor consolation but it's something. Allows me to concentrate on school.

Plus it gives me a lot of beer time :)

Back