Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everytime in NYC, I spend an afternoon here. Perhaps try it as consolation, but take cash. And get a cheese and crackers plate too.
http://mcsorleysoldalehouse.nyc/

I have a McSorley's story.

I used to be in charge of an 87' Coast Guard Cutter that is homeported in Cape May NJ. One day I loaded up my crew in a van and headed to NYC for a day of stupidity. Eventually I took them to McSorely's. While we were enjoying a beer, I told them that the last time I had been in that bar was in 1985. One of them looked at me and said, "Master Chief, the last time you were in this bar, I wasn't born yet". *sigh*

Damn. I was wanting to take my son to Ireland in a year or two. Beer would be a big part of the experience but BMC? Eeeewwwwww...

I drank a lot of good and different beer. look up Galwaybay brewery they own pubs. Had private tour of Guiness wfie had 5 pints during the tour and does not like it here stateside.

I used to be in charge of an 87' Coast Guard Cutter that is homeported in Cape May NJ. One day I loaded up my crew in a van and headed to NYC for a day of stupidity. Eventually I took them to McSorely's. While we were enjoying a beer, I told them that the last time I had been in that bar was in 1985. One of them looked at me and said, "Master Chief, the last time you were in this bar, I wasn't born yet". *sigh*

Love it and love that pub. Know the history/reasoning for the half pints? Forgive my ignorance if it's something a beer lover should know

Feel better: the first time I ended up in McSorely's in 1960, you probably weren't born yet, either...

Cheers! ;)

I heard someone talking about a guy who would sprinkle Nottingham into yogurt and eat it before sampling because "The yeast will consume the alcohol and I won't get drunk as fast."
xKgqwsN.gif

While sitting at a local tap room today...

1) IPA's and big hoppy beers don't matter if they lose carbonation. That's why they put all those hops in on the trip from England to India...so it stays good without carbonation.

2) Berliner Weisse is like a Chardonnay.

I love sitting here listening to people!

Is the thread too dead to bump? :D:

I was at a wedding this past weekend and they had cans of Bud Light for the guests. I was driving soon, and it was freaking cold so I wasn't drinking anyways. But these two older dudes were reading the cans and were surprised it said it was a "lager."

Guy 1: "Well this says here it's a lager, but it ain't very dark!"
Guy 2: "Lagers can be dark, like Michelob, but they don't have to be."

At first I thought it was interesting that they were talking about lagers, but then I got really confused. They mentioned another "dark beer" but I can't remember what they said. Leinenkugel's or something

:drunk:

I heard someone talking about a guy who would sprinkle Nottingham into yogurt and eat it before sampling because "The yeast will consume the alcohol and I won't get drunk as fast."

That ***
haha
Oh my
Hoho
That is the thing that Koch says he does.
Which is ridiculous, because yeast doesnt consume ... aww fuggit ... everyone here gets it.

I'd like to see an American taste test the garbage the British call good food and vomit on camera. Also, all the comments from the 'real Americans'...smh.

Dude - if you are not getting good pub food in England, you are in the wrong pub. :) And the Indian food in England is some of the best there is. Granted, England is not known for cuisine, but their beer can make up for it

Is the thread too dead to bump? :D:

I was at a wedding this past weekend and they had cans of Bud Light for the guests. I was driving soon, and it was freaking cold so I wasn't drinking anyways. But these two older dudes were reading the cans and were surprised it said it was a "lager."

Guy 1: "Well this says here it's a lager, but it ain't very dark!"
Guy 2: "Lagers can be dark, like Michelob, but they don't have to be."

At first I thought it was interesting that they were talking about lagers, but then I got really confused. They mentioned another "dark beer" but I can't remember what they said. Leinenkugel's or something

:drunk:

I'd guess Yuengling, it's what a lot of people who don't know much about beer associate with "lager," hence lots of posts in this thread about people who say they don't want to drink lager, they want to drink Bud.

And Yuengling is dark compared to BMC.

Dude - if you are not getting good pub food in England, you are in the wrong pub. :) And the Indian food in England is some of the best there is. Granted, England is not known for cuisine, but their beer can make up for it

To each their own I guess. I am talking about 'authentic' British food, not Indian food in England. Fish pie and mushy peas...no thanks.

I'm pretty sure that for country music it's closer to 1%....

Are we talking "County music" or what passes today for "country music" but is in realty is "pop music with fiddles and acoustic guitars, played by good looking people dressed in cowboy hats and bedazzled with way too many flashy rhinestones"?

Merle Haggard rode the rails and did time > Darius Rucker singing about alls I need is this roof over my head (I know how many records you sold in the 90s, Hootie, and I know that roof over your head is like a villa in the Hamptons or some s**t.

Merle Haggard rode the rails and did time > Darius Rucker singing about alls I need is this roof over my head (I know how many records you sold in the 90s, Hootie, and I know that roof over your head is like a villa in the Hamptons or some s**t.

Michele Lambert sings "gonna go home & load my shotgun"
I don't believe it!
The Man in Black "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die".
Probably did!

I saw this on a tour today. Got so scared I almost left. :D
Be careful drinking beer in Cali. You may end up with cancer!
Well, there you have it. California is one step closer to declaring that air causes cancer.

Although, depending on where you live, the air in California probably DOES cause cancer.

Well, there you have it. California is one step closer to declaring that air causes cancer.

Although, depending on where you live, the air in California probably DOES cause cancer.

Scientists have recently discovered that saliva causes cancer, but only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

JK! But seriously, cancer is caused by something far cuter... White lab mice.

Brewed a batch of beer last night and left my keggle in the kids bathtub upside down to drain. I figured I would move it later the next morning. My oldest daughter (will be 7 in February) wakes up this morning comes downstairs and the first thing she says is... "Dad, you have a brewing gadget in our bathtub". I laughed immediately and said "Honey, it's not a gadget its a keggle". She gives me a look and says "Ok dad" as if I don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyhow, I had to share and it made me laugh this morning. Ah, now I have to move my "Brewing gadget" back to its proper place. HAHA

Scientists have recently discovered that saliva causes cancer, but only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.

JK! But seriously, cancer is caused by something far cuter... White lab mice.

Ah yes, right back to that whole association and causation thing...never wonder why people can't get that one right!

Brewed a batch of beer last night and left my keggle in the kids bathtub upside down to drain. I figured I would move it later the next morning. My oldest daughter (will be 7 in February) wakes up this morning comes downstairs and the first thing she says is... "Dad, you have a brewing gadget in our bathtub". I laughed immediately and said "Honey, it's not a gadget its a keggle". She gives me a look and says "Ok dad" as if I don't know what I'm talking about.

Anyhow, I had to share and it made me laugh this morning. Ah, now I have to move my "Brewing gadget" back to its proper place. HAHA

When I fist started I used a square cooler swamp cooler to keep fermentation temp. My wife was at Walmart with our 3 year old and walks past those coolers and he points and says brew beer!

That's hilarious, my 3 yo walked over to the kegs at northern Brewer and says "Passat". The sound from me releasing the exsess pressure when the keg is empty.

I brought a growler of German Pilsner I made to work with me. One of my coworkers who never had homebrew before remarked "Wow, it tastes just like beer! I figured it would taste like Sake or something."

That's a compliment, right? :cool:

In my defense, the Pilsner was really good. Everyone seemed to enjoy it.

That's one thing we all agree on! ;) :tank:

Actually no. I would say I don't agree with that.

When someone says this, what they mean is:

"I like light lagers made from adjunct grains that tastes faintly of noble hops and is produced in massive quantities and heavily marketed to reinforce my self-esteem for liking such generic weak beer."

To a majority of people, a porter, heffe, stout, IPA, or even Amber ale doesn't "taste like beer".

Back