Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't it ironic that halfway through this I have learned more about beer than reading the informational threads?

Wife says she will only drink a beer that is light and has no hops. I hand her my first non-kit based beer with an estimated 32IBU (4lb LME/2.5g beer batch):

"Not bad, I like that"

At a restaurant with a Shiner Wild Hare:

"Ooh I like that"

What happened to no hops?

My wife does that too. "I don't like hoppy beers...too bitter." Then we tour Surly a couple years ago and she tries a sample of Furious, and says, "Ooh, I like that!"

My wife does that too. "I don't like hoppy beers...too bitter." Then we tour Surly a couple years ago and she tries a sample of Furious, and says, "Ooh, I like that!"

Most people have an IPA that "does" it for them.

thatjonguy said:
Mine would be Bell's Two Hearted Ale. I finally tried it a couple months ago. I love it! Some IPA's taste like pine needles to me, but others I like.

I'm an ipa lover but I have a friend who drinks nothing but bud light. Every time I get an ipa I make her taste it and she winces and says Yuck. One time I gave her a sip of a double ipa, wish I could remember which one. She said she loved it and even ordered one. I was shocked

gcdowd said:
I'm an ipa lover but I have a friend who drinks nothing but bud light. Every time I get an ipa I make her taste it and she winces and says Yuck. One time I gave her a sip of a double ipa, wish I could remember which one. She said she loved it and even ordered one. I was shocked

Sometimes the DIPA's are a bit more balanced and sweeter at times too. SWMBO doesn't like IPAs and tried my DFH 90 min and said it wasn't bad.

SWMBO among others of my non-beer-nerd friends tend to like Sweetwater 420 but no other hoppy beer

So many... I overhear this one all the time at bars and pubs around here:

"Well there are two types of beer. We have ales which are lighter beers and the lagers which are darker beers."

...every time I hear this... :smack:

Sometimes the DIPA's are a bit more balanced and sweeter at times too. SWMBO doesn't like IPAs and tried my DFH 90 min and said it wasn't bad.

I agree as well. For some reason I find DIPAs are usually much better balanced than IPA's. I also tend to notice that the balance of DIPAs/IPAs is usually much better than that of regular Pale Ales. My I hate Hoppy bitter beers family members both loved my clone brew of Zombie Dust, which coincedentally has what? 9 oz of hops in a 5 gallon batch?

thatjonguy said:

I have a friend who drinks Blue Moon, Shock Top, and Gen. Sherman IPA but he said that the Lil Sumpin Sumpin I gave him was too hoppy.

So many... I overhear this one all the time at bars and pubs around here:

"Well there are two types of beer. We have ales which are lighter beers and the lagers which are darker beers."

...every time I hear this... :smack:

I hear just the opposite of that on occasion (ales=dark and lagers=light). Funny how misinformation varies by area :mug:

I hear just the opposite of that on occasion (ales=dark and lagers=light). Funny how misinformation varies by area :mug:

I like to call them on it sometimes, just to be an a$$ I guess, but it really is a problem that they're so ill-informed and giving their customers incorrect information.

Or this gem, from a trip to Ohio...

(referring to the craft beers on tap)
Waitress: "Oh, all those brews are from like microbreweries, so they're all really hoppy."

Me: (looking past taps of Dunkleweizen, Belgian Tripel, etc.) "Yeah? Well maybe you could recommend one that's not so hoppy for me?"

Waitress: "Well most people really like the Sam Adams Latitude 48."

Me: "You don't say."

:smack:

this one was prob already said but, I always like to hear it.

I tell a friend I make my own beer.. and it never fails.. the reply.. "won't you go blind if you make it wrong?" lol gets me every time.

My neighbor comes down to the porch where I'm brewing and asks two questions:

1. "What are you brewing? It looks dark; does that mean it has a lot of alcohol in it??" Me: "It does have a lot of alcohol in it but it has nothing to do with color, I've got a light beer inside with even more. This is a russian imperial stout, its a really thick stout with coffee and chocolate."

2. In response to my description of the beer: "Oh so kind of like Guinness?" Me: "Actually its the opposite and its darker." :smack:

My neighbor comes down to the porch where I'm brewing and asks two questions:

1. "What are you brewing? It looks dark; does that mean it has a lot of alcohol in it??" Me: "It does have a lot of alcohol in it but it has nothing to do with color, I've got a light beer inside with even more. This is a russian imperial stout, its a really thick stout with coffee and chocolate."

2. In response to my description of the beer: "Oh so kind of like Guinness?" Me: "Actually its the opposite and its darker." :smack:

Your answers kind of make you sound like a dick. I'm guessing you just don't like this particular neighbor?

grimzella said:
this one was prob already said but, I always like to hear it.

I tell a friend I make my own beer.. and it never fails.. the reply.. "won't you go blind if you make it wrong?" lol gets me every time.

Only worthy response to this typical one is that another favorite hobby will be the cause of your blindness.

A good chuckle will make the following 7hr lecture on beer easier for him/her to take in

Only worthy response to this typical one is that another favorite hobby will be the cause of your blindness.

A good chuckle will make the following 7hr lecture on beer easier for him/her to take in

And during that 7hr lecture make sure you are always looking just slightly left of their head - leave him wondering what the actual cause of your apparent mild blindness was :D

that's just hilarious

I know a fellow who wanted to learn brewing, and while I'm talking to him he glazed over and I swear he drooled a little bit. He had got ahold of a mr. beer keg and mixed sugar, water, cornmeal and yeast in it. He said he couldn't figure out malt or hops so he just left them out.

I don't think there's any reaching that one

I like to call them on it sometimes, just to be an a$$ I guess, but it really is a problem that they're so ill-informed and giving their customers incorrect information.

Or this gem, from a trip to Ohio...

(referring to the craft beers on tap)
Waitress: "Oh, all those brews are from like microbreweries, so they're all really hoppy."

Me: (looking past taps of Dunkleweizen, Belgian Tripel, etc.) "Yeah? Well maybe you could recommend one that's not so hoppy for me?"

Waitress: "Well most people really like the Sam Adams Latitude 48."

Me: "You don't say."

:smack:

HAH! wow.

roastquake said:
that's just hilarious

I know a fellow who wanted to learn brewing, and while I'm talking to him he glazed over and I swear he drooled a little bit. He had got ahold of a mr. beer keg and mixed sugar, water, cornmeal and yeast in it. He said he couldn't figure out malt or hops so he just left them out.

Wow. That's like saying "I couldn't figure out flour and eggs, so I just mixed up sugar and frosting and baked it. Now, tell me why my cake sucked?"

that's just hilarious

:pipe:
This is the only way I can respond to hearing that...

That's just disturbing.

Recently told a coworker that I homebrewed and he asked where I kept it. I said down in the basement. His question, how many tubs did you have to haul into your basement...

wisconsinitebrewer said:
Recently told a coworker that I homebrewed and he asked where I kept it. I said down in the basement. His question, how many tubs did you have to haul into your basement...

That's a fair question If you take a bath in a barrel like an old time western or you're into sponge baths ;p.

Clearly he's talking about fermentation.

roastquake said:
that's just hilarious

What yeast? I might try that recipe.

that's just hilarious

watched too many episodes of Moonshiners

Hmmm...I don't see the dickishness in his answers. Perhaps you could elaborate and provide some context here as to what you found to be dickish?

Orr we can go on with our day and talk about funnier things since that was settled already.

Not really on topic, but I was at a bar the other evening and they had $2 domestic draws. And that included their New Belgium stuff. I was shocked!

Not really on topic, but I was at a bar the other evening and they had $2 domestic draws. And that included their New Belgium stuff. I was shocked!

No, no, that's relevant to the thread, the bar (a place specializing in booze) didn't know the difference between domestics and crafts, or they're just hooking people up. I wouldn't mention it to anyone though, just keep ordering NBs!

roastquake said:
No, no, that's relevant to the thread, the bar (a place specializing in booze) didn't know the difference between domestics and crafts, or they're just hooking people up. I wouldn't mention it to anyone though, just keep ordering NBs!

It's funny this would come up. Me and my wife went to a pirate show where you eat and watch a live play in myrtle beach. They had a bar before the show and since the tickets were expensive I figured beer would be too so we ordered a couple of coors lights. They were 5 a piece and I commented that was cheaper than I thought. The bartender informed me all there beers were 5 bucks so I was drinking NB shift and bells two heart the rest of the night.

Back