Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is the first and only time I sent back a beer.

That reminds me of the first (but probably not only) time I got a drink I should have sent back but didn't. It wasn't a beer, but... I got a bad feeling when, after ordering a Manhattan, the waitress came back to ask whether I wanted an olive in it. When the drink showed up, it was in a wine glass and at room temperature.

Thankfully there was no olive.

Hey you two! Chill out! Go to PMs rather than derailing this thread with unfunny things not about beer! I can see this turning into a worse debate than the economists...

I'm actually done. I won't hijack a thread for more than a couple of posts. So, we can all chill out, yourself included.

This:
The American Revolution was in another time. 26 5-6 year old children would be alive today if the guns used were illegal and the creep hadn't had them. I believe only hunting rifles and shotguns should be legal. All others should not be available.
in reply to this:
That kits comes out really nice. We soaked the oak in Woodford Reserve for several weeks while the beer was fermenting. I can't remember how long we kept it in secondary with the oak but knowing us it was at least a month.

You are perilously close to being assaulted with a salmon.

Lew.jpg

I was once at a bar drinking a Miller Genuine Draft, prior to my dive into real beer drinking. A guy came up to me and said, "drinking the diesel, eh? I can't handle that stuff."

I remember when I thought Killians Red was the **** and I had moved "beyond" Bud Ice... I try to keep that in mind when I hear my inner beer snob coming out.
1.jpg
28.jpg
3.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
29.jpg

I was once at a bar drinking a Miller Genuine Draft, prior to my dive into real beer drinking. A guy came up to me and said, "drinking the diesel, eh? I can't handle that stuff."

reminds me at hockey one night, usually there's a case of Labbatt's in the locker room, half blue and half blue light. Someone on my team looked at me with a regular blue and said I don't know how you can drink that, it's too thick. Since I started brewing I swear I can taste the corn and rice now in commercial lagers.

MustBeZ said:
Not quite overheard but this is on the "bar"ch madness happening at a new bar in town. Gotta love Murphys stout beer.

That's the least of the problems in that list.

That's the least of the problems in that list.

Yeah its a new place in the town I grew up in and the only bar in town as well. Its appropriately named "The Bar". I only went up there laste night because they were giving away Sam Adams Boston Lager pint glasses which the owner called "Sam Adams pilsner glasses".
I Definitely won't be participating in "bar"ch madness and probably won't be going there very often.

MustBeZ said:
Yeah its a new place in the town I grew up in and the only bar in town as well. Its appropriately named "The Bar". I only went up there laste night because they were giving away Sam Adams Boston Lager pint glasses which the owner called "Sam Adams pilsner glasses".
I Definitely won't be participating in "bar"ch madness and probably won't be going there very often.

Hey, you can't pass up a free glass. :)

:smack:

I remember when I thought Killians Red was the **** and I had moved "beyond" Bud Ice... I try to keep that in mind when I hear my inner beer snob coming out.

Good point. I was a Coors Extra Gold guy for a while in college, many moons ago :D

Not quite overheard but this is on the "bar"ch madness happening at a new bar in town. Gotta love Murphys stout beer.

The use of the word "beer" is funny, but seeing as how the list has all sorts of drinks on it, I can see why they included it. Otherwise, they would certainly be pouring beers out when someone even more clueless ordered a Blue Moon thinking they were getting a fruity blue drink.

The use of the word "beer" is funny, but seeing as how the list has all sorts of drinks on it, I can see why they included it. Otherwise, they would certainly be pouring beers out when someone even more clueless ordered a Blue Moon thinking they were getting a fruity blue drink.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Would have looked a lot better if they put beer in parentheses.

My m-i-l is a lovely lady but her beer knowledge is limited. When I first met her and told her I was fond of good beer she responded "me too I love good beer!". "Oh yeah? Do you have a favorite?" "Yes, draft beer!"

Now she tastes all the beer I order (and make) and has been forming some interesting opinions :). I think the most endearing was the chocolate stout I made. "This is great, but what made you think to put chocolate in it??"

:)

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this here, but I've been to several liquor stores where they refer to Guinness Draught as "Droe", or "Drought". I just kind of smile and nod.

Also, I can't count the number of comments I've read online about people "getting part of the bottling equipment" in their Guinness Draught bottles.

I'm sure I'm not the first to say this here, but I've been to several liquor stores where they refer to Guinness Draught as "Droe", or "Drought". I just kind of smile and nod.

Also, I can't count the number of comments I've read online about people "getting part of the bottling equipment" in their Guinness Draught bottles.

Drought rhymes with knot, correct?:eek:

Gotta love Murphys stout beer.

Stout can be used as an adjective. Think of it as the word "strong" or "robust". It's not very common anymore, but it's still a correct usage of the word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stout
Originally, the adjective stout meant "proud" or "brave", but later, after the 14th century, it took on the connotation of "strong". The first known use of the word stout for beer was in a document dated 1677 found in the Egerton Manuscript,[4] the sense being that a stout beer was a strong beer. The expression stout porter was applied during the 18th century to strong versions of porter, and was used by Guinness of Ireland in 1820 – although Guinness had been brewing porters since about 1780, having originally been an ale brewer from its foundation in 1759. Stout still meant only "strong" and it could be related to any kind of beer, as long as it was strong: in the UK it was possible to find "stout pale ale", for example. Later, stout was eventually to be associated only with porter, becoming a synonym of dark beer. During the last part of the 19th century, stout porter beer gained the reputation of being a healthful, strengthening drink, so that it was used by athletes and nursing mothers, while doctors often recommended it to help recovery.[10]

Because of the huge popularity of porters, brewers made them in a variety of strengths. The beers with higher gravities were called "Stout Porters". There is still division and debate on whether stouts should be a separate style from porter. Usually the only deciding factor is strength.[11]

See also Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels.

Yea it was this thread and I was thinking about that when I did my post, but I stand by my statement that it is ok to use it as an adjective.

Sounds to me like you could help them out by offering a free beer education. Or not free. Your choice!:rockin:

Went to the local slaveway tonight. Picked up some Relentless Rye IPA for me and some reeds ginger beer for the missus since she has an upset stomach. The cashier had to double check for some reason because she didn't know why the ginger beer came up as not being an "alcohol" item. Her reasoning? "Well it says beer on it..." **cough**dumba$$

I love how any thing that is not miller lite is referred to as "that thick crap that you drink"

I am brewing a cream ale for an upcomeing event and I know my main culprit will really like it. So I can then tell him he is actually drinking a "thick" beer lol..

I've run into a lot of people who get "the look" when you tell them it is a cream ale. You know they are grossing out over the thought of fermented milk.

My father at my wedding: "Now see, I actually like that beer, its a nice light lager"
Me: Actually its an ale, pop
Dad: Same thing.

Opening day for my kiddo #1's baseball league was on Saturday. We had a booth for and sold tamales. The parents running the booth were having a hard time getting thrm warmed up and I told them that I wish they would have said something seeing that I have a propane burner for such things, especially since I am not allowed to brew in the house.

So I get the "What kind of beer do you make?" Followed by the "Dark beer is too much for me!" comments. I know this has come up a thousand times on here, but why do people equate dark beer w/ what I assume they think is high ABV?

Back