Funky with Brett as Primary Strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BertusBrew

Reaction score
I plan on doing a 100% brett beer. I will be pitching The Yeast Bay's Beersel Brett Blend as my primary and only yeast. I know that brett as a primary strain typically does not create much funk. Can I do anything to bring out the funk using brett as a primary and only yeast in a beer?

I plan on doing a 100% brett beer. I will be pitching The Yeast Bay's Beersel Brett Blend as my primary and only yeast. I know that brett as a primary strain typically does not create much funk. Can I do anything to bring out the funk using brett as a primary and only yeast in a beer?

I did a 100% B/L porter that was very clean at first, but got the B funk over time. Maybe give it some time once it's in bottles? The beer in question was bottled back in October.

Nope. The funk comes from Brett transforming sacch's byproducts. No sacch, no funk. Brett on its own is clean and fruity.

I did a 100% B/L porter that was very clean at first, but got the B funk over time. Maybe give it some time once it's in bottles? The beer in question was bottled back in October.

Normally I agree would agree with sweetcell but I have 3-4 100% Brett beers that have been in the bottle for 1yr+ and there is some definite funk to them. They were all tropical fruit bombs when young but aging under pressure seems to have changed them a good bit.

The Beersel blend shows activity pretty quickly. I pitched all 3 of the Yeast Bay's Brett blends split into 3 fermenters for secondary and the Beersel got going pretty quickly.

There is definitely some funk that can come with a 100% brett fermentation, though I think its strain dependent. CMY01 from Crooked Stave gave me a lot of tropical fruit with some funk as well.

A friend of mine (TravisT on HBT) sent me a 100% B. Trois R&R Coconut IPA from dregs that he grew up from Crooked Stave beers, and it definitely had a light hint of funk to it. Very nice beer. I don't believe the beer was older than a few months when I tried it. I did a Citra IPA with 100% B. Custersianus from ECY, and there isn't even a hint of funk after about 3 months. So, it probably depends on the strain and the base ingredients used.

Nope. The funk comes from Brett transforming sacch's byproducts. No sacch, no funk. Brett on its own is clean and fruity.

Brett can produce funky phenolics on its own, it just isn't as effective as POF+ Sacch strains at one of the steps.

To the OP - Try adding a rest at ~113F to free more ferulic acid from the malt. This will hopefully help the Brett produce more 4VG which it can then convert to funky 4EG. I've never tried it, but I'd be interested to hear the results.

I would say the best thing is time. Brett can ferment clean, but then after time it will consume most everything else in the beer. You could mash higher and sparge hotter in hopes of giving it more food to chew on.

I've done 100% brett B and L beers and the B was like licking a horse (not that I've really ever done that.)
The Crooked Stave yeast i used from an older bottle of petit sour was phenomenal in every aspect. One of my favorite yeasts.

One way I have found to get (too much) funk is to underpitch the brett. Its probably not the flavors you desire, but it does produce some wacky stuff. You could split a batch and blend it in... that's what I plan on doing this summer with my insane-0 horse keg.

I also made high IBU worts and pitched ECY 01,03,04, my house strain, WLP655, Jester King starter and found that there was less funk in those (so far), I'm guessing in part due to the higher bitterness in the beer. Time will tell though. I plan on dry hopping the tar out of them and seeing if a "Sour IPA" will blossom.

Back