Funky taste and smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobeer

Fermentation Specalist
Reaction score
The last 2 batches ive made, an apa and iipa, both suffered the same fate. It's hard to describe but the closest thing i've found on here is described as band-aids. It's sort of a plastic type taste. I thought it was my keg line so i replaced it but the taste is still there.

I just moved to a new county a few months ago and ive brewed 3 batches here. The first one was a chocolate porter and it was awesome. The only main difference is I used 100% bottled spring water for that beer. I then used half spring and half tap for the apa and 100% tap for the iipa. The iipa i think was way worse than the apa so im leaning towards this being a water issue but im really not sure.
Ive been brewing for 4 years now and these are my first bad batches. I dont think it's an issue with my brewing processes or sanitation. Any ideas? I want to brew my annual Xmas beer but can't really afford for this to keep happening. Thanks!

I feel your pain. I would stick with the spring water until you can get a water report.

Yea im thinking about doing that. Was just using tap water to keep costs down.
What in the water would cause this issue?

Chlorine. Try campden tabs and brew up a small batch (1 gallon) if you have the means, use a scaled back version of one of your "bad" beers, and see if the flavor is still present.

Instead of buying bottled spring water, you can usually find a machine in the supermarket that will dispense water for less than 50 cents a gallon. I have a 7 gallon jug i take into the store to fill up.

I had a feeling it was fluoride or chlorine. Whatever it is it makes my beer taste awful...

I had a feeling it was fluoride or chlorine. Whatever it is it makes my beer taste awful...

It's chlorine. In some municipalities, they use chloramines- a more stable form of chlorine that doesn't boil off.

A campden tablet, crushed and dissolved in 20 gallons of water (or 1/2 tablet in 10 gallons) will instantly remove chlorine and/or chloramine.

The water may or may not be suitable for brewing, depending on what else is in it. You can get a water report from your water supplier, or send a sample to Ward Lab for a full report on what is in your water.

The chlorine can come from your water as chloramine (won't ever evaporate/boil out) and as said, you need to pre-treat with campden tablets (potassium or sodium metabisulfite), or use a different water source.

From the bible (Palmer):
http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html said:
Medicinal
These flavors are often described as mediciney, Band-Aid™ like, or can be spicy like cloves. The cause are various phenols which are initially produced by the yeast. Chlorophenols result from the reaction of chlorine-based sanitizers (bleach) with phenol compounds and have very low taste thresholds. Rinsing with boiled water after sanitizing is the best way to prevent these flavors.

Awesome. Thanks everyone! Ill pick up some campden tablets this weekend at the lhbs

I've used campden tablets in my tap water and it still made beer with the same kind of weird artificial plastic taste you described, the taste was especially present when I would burp. This went away when I brewed a batch using bottled spring water!

Noted. Thanks. Maybe I'll just stick with spring water. I'll try to hunt down one of those water dispensers. Thanks again.

Back