Funky Smell After Secondary Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffguy

Reaction score
I just brewed a cream ale and after 7 days in the primary it tasted great and smelled great - I transferred it to secondary to clarify after 7 days and after another 7 I gave it a whiff and it was harsh like a ketone and an ester had an ugly baby - it is still drinkable but the more I smelled it the harsher it smelled - I as wondering if this is a bacterial infection or was my nose just off? I used 2-row with crystal 15 and corn and carapils with .3 oz of northern brewer hops for the 2 gallon batch - please let me know if what I am smelling is out of the ordinary out is it just the recipe or condition - it fermented between 58 and 64 with California ale yeast by white labs :) cheers in advance !!!

That temperature seems low for WLP 001 but I can't say I have experience going that low and tasting the results. I'd bank more on a racking-based infection.

Latest posts

Back