Funky Looking Film on Top of Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nowashburn

Reaction score
I have an all grain IPA kit I bought from norther brewer that's been sitting in the secondary for about 3 months. I just checked on it and there is some funky looking thin film with airbubbles on top of it. To be honest I did open this one up a few times and sampled it so an infection wouldn't shock me at all. Here is the all grain kit I purchased:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...115th-dream-hopbursted-ipa-all-grain-kit.html

here is a picture of "the funk":

CIMG0131.jpg

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is this def infected? thanks for any advice or insight! :)

infected. also, plastic bucket ≠ secondary. for three months of aging, you really need a more suitable container like a glass carboy.

EDIT: as gross as this looks, you should still sample it before dumping it. maybe it's not completely fouled?

Infected doesnt mean ruined. The infection is possibly only on the top of the beer where it is exposed to air.

Just rack from under it, and bottle it, prime it and wait a month.

I'd even resist the temptation to taste it before bottling least you make a rash decision to dump it while its still not ready.

Bottle it up, taste it after 2-3 weeks.

Taste it before throwing it out, but yeah, that is a classic infection.

FWIW - I would not secondary an IPA. A few days for dryhopping maybe...

And I would not use plastic bucket for secondary. I have a glass carboy and few plastic carboys for that. I don't know if there is anything "wrong" with bucket, but since I have the carboys, I use them. I think that if everything is done right, a bucket would serve fine for secondary, except the potential for a bit more oxidation...

Back