Funky flavor in my hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the higher yeast profile for hefes too, but have been cautious about fermenting too high. One of my favorite hefe batches was fermented at 71-72F, though. That was with WLP351. What is your preferred yeast for hefes?

I use WB-06, which I like for it's attenuation and lack of egg farts.

Some people under-pitch a hefe to juice the ester profile, but I prefer using a higher temperature. It just feels like a better choice for the health of the ferment.

I use WB-06, which I like for it's attenuation and lack of egg farts.

Some people under-pitch a hefe to juice the ester profile, but I prefer using a higher temperature. It just feels like a better choice for the health of the ferment.

Do you get a pronounced banana and clove-phenolics from it? Like from a fresh Paulaner? I use WB-06 quite often but not for hefes, as I can't find close to any resemblance with a bavarian Hefe using that one. But people use it, so I wonder how they use it. To me it's easier to make it look like a wit.

Do you get a pronounced banana and clove-phenolics from it? Like from a fresh Paulaner? I use WB-06 quite often but not for hefes, as I can't find close to any resemblance with a bavarian Hefe using that one. But people use it, so I wonder how they use it. To me it's easier to make it look like a wit.

Mostly the banana parts, which is what my wife likes. I ferment high and let it rise even higher, but otherwise it's just a hefeweizen.

EDIT: Do you mash your grains for a hefeweizen? If so, do you follow a traditional decoction regimen? Hefeweizens are the one style we still do as extract due to not wanting to do a complicated mash. Now I have no idea what mash schedule the extract producers use, but I do know that every extract hefe we have made with WB-06 (and Danstar Munich for that matter) has tasted like an actual hefeweizen. I wonder if that could explain how we get different outcomes?

Back