Fullers Past masters double stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aussietrev

Reaction score
Hello

I have been looking at this great website for many months now and am just about to jump into the world of home brew.
I am not a big drinker of stout as i usually dont enjoy the flavours or mouth feel at all. but after recently drinking a few Fullers double stouts I just have to make something like this myself.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a recipe for an imperial stout that has the same quality's as the fullers ? or better yet a fullers clone ?

Cheers

Noone ? There are alot of great looking recipes on this forum bust most are for beers that i cant even taste over here.

Has anyone tried the past masters stout ? how does it hold up to other great RIS beers and once again can anyone point me in the dirrection of a similar profile RIS ?

I really not into smoky flavours or "chocolate" flavours (I work with the best chocolat in the world everyday ) but in stout it is not for me.
any help would be great:rockin:

Here's a recipe from a few years later (1910 rather than 1893):

pale malt 5.5 lbs 54.00%
brown malt 1 lb 10.00%
flaked maize 0.33 lb 6.00%
black malt 0.4 lb 4.00%
Dark Invert sugar 2.5 lbs 25.00%
total 9.73 lbs 100.00%
East Kent Goldings 3.5 oz
Fuggles 1 oz
start of boil 2.5 oz
after 60 mins 2 oz
boil time (hours) 1.5
dry hops none
pitching temp (ºF) 60
gravity (OG) 1070
gravity (FG) 1022
ABV 6.35
apparent attenuation 68.57%

Mash at 150º F
Sparge at 175º F

It's very similar to the Past Masters beer.

Thanks mate.

Have you brewed this beer ? if so was it good ?
any idea on the yeast ?
thats a hell of alot of sugar in there

Er, sort of. Not this recipe, but the real Fuller's Past Masters Double Stout. If you count clicking a mouse a few times brewing.

The Fuller's beer had loads of No. 3 invert in it. It took ages to get into the copper. Just checked, 17% of the grist.Or 8% less. Change that 8% to brown malt and you've just about got the Double Stout recipe.

Back