Fullers ESB Clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultravista

Reaction score
Has anyone made a sucessful clone of Fullers ESB? There are lot of recipes, blogs, and forum posts (here and elsewhere) but it's hard to aggregate the date and formulate a decision.

If you have brewed it, please post your recipe and comments.

Do you think Fullers ESB and DFH Indian Brown Ale are in the same ballpark flavor wise?

BYO just had an article on Fullers. Apparently four of their beers are made from the same mash of 95% English Pale 5% ~75L Crystal. ESB starts at 1.060. Target and Challanger to bitter, EKG and Northdown at 15 min, and a small dry hop of EKG (35 IBUs). Thier yeast is available as WLP002 or WY1968 (pitch at 64, rise to 68, then cool). They say the recipe was reviewed by the brewer.

I don't think India Brown and ESB are especially close, they both use an English yeast, but India brown has more chocolate flavor and is stronger/hoppier.

Hope that helps, good luck.

Is that the Mar-Apr 2011 issue?

I ordered a subscription about 1.5 months ago and haven't received the first copy yet.

You received the March April issue two weeks ago? I called subscription services this morning, I was told the Marh April issue will be in the mail (for me / other subscribers) soon.

Did you pick the mag up or are you subscribed?

You received the March April issue two weeks ago? I called subscription services this morning, I was told the Marh April issue will be in the mail (for me / other subscribers) soon.

Did you pick the mag up or are you subscribed?

I subscribe, and it was about a week ago IIRC. Maybe they send them out is waves or something, or maybe I live closer to where they send them from?

Grrr ... the subscription lady said I was queued up to receive the March / April issue but it hasn't started shipping yet for subscribers. I guess she wasn't being truthful.

I'll wait for a week or two then pick one up at the store if it doesn't materialize.

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I just finished a keg of an excellent Fuller's ESB clone, so I thought I would contribute.

In addition to the pale malt and crystal malt, I'm pretty sure I taste a little bit of flaked maize sweetness, and it is mentioned in some interviews online with the brewers at Fuller's.

5% 75L crystal sounds a little light on both color and flavor to me; I would go for a larger quantity of lighter crystal malt. This is what I use, and it is pretty spot-on:

Grain Bill:

9 lbs. Maris Otter (I use Warminster's, but anything at ~4.5L should work)
1 lb. Flaked Maize
1 lb. 55L Crystal Malt (I use Simpson's medium)

Hops:

1 oz. EKG (5.5%AA) @ 60 mins
1 oz. EKG (5.5%AA) @ 15 mins
2 oz. EKG (5.5%AA) @ 5 mins

Yeast:

Wyeast 1968 London ESB

I do a single infusion mash @ 153 for an hour, but with the flaked maize in there it will probably clear faster if you do a protein rest first. This should get you to about 5.5% ABV, 40 IBUs, and 12 SRM. (A little dark, I know, but the amber color looks really nice.)

One thing I will warn you about is that 1968 can get pretty active at warmer temperatures and will attenuate up to 75% despite the stats. Because of this, my last clone ended up a little boozy, closer to the bottled version than on tap. I probably hit about 72 at some point; 68 should keep it within the desired range.

-Shawn

Flaked maize was used in their beers up until the 90's or a bit later. You'll come across a lot of old Fuller's recipes that include it, though that is no longer the case.

How does this look to you guys ??

10 lbs Optic Pale Malt
10 oz Simpsons Dark Crystal
0.5 oz Carafa III debittered malt for color

Mash at 150

.65 Target at 60 min
.2 oz EK Goldings at 5 min
.5 oz Northdown at 5 min
.5 oz Challenger at 5 min
.5 oz EK Golding dry hop

Wyeast 1968 London ESB

OG 1.059