Fuller body

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermonster1985

Reaction score
Hi all. So the last couple of beers I have been aiming for more body and trying to mash at 68-69 c (154-156f) and the recipe been using has got 1051 hydro reading. The beers didn't or haven't fermented below 1023. They taste very full bodied. The strike water was 75 c (167f) and takes few minutes to come down to target, I'm wondering if when doughing in I'm releasing a lot of unfermentables. I have pot and false bottom, will be better to strike low and raise the temp to target?

You are doing it the correct way. Are you adjusting your water to be in the pH range of 5.2-5.6? Are you ensuring during your dough in there are no dry clumps?

I'm confused about what you are trying to achieve. You said you were aiming for more body by mashing higher, but now you're upset that your beers are turning out full bodied?

The other part of the equation is fermentation. What type of yeast, fermentation process, what temp did you pitch, what temp did you ferment and how long, etc.???. This will tell us more about whether or not the yeast stopped attenuating and other clues, to help give you a better answer.

I took it as he mashed higher to get more body but is disappointed that his beer didn't finish fermenting below 1.023 need clarification. :D

Full bodied but 1023 a bit full don't you think?

Well yes, I'd agree that's high for a 1.051 beer but it depends what you're going for. Did you like the way it tasted? If you're saying you wanted more body but overshot then maybe try splitting the difference between the mash temps you tried. Or you could add body in other ways - like adding flaked barley or something. A little hard to comment too much without having the recipe or even knowing what kind of beer you're brewing.

My understanding is that by mashing at the higher temps 145+ you create sugars that are less fermentable, thus the beer finishes at a higher number. Less sugar conversion = lower alchohol and fuller, sweeter beer.
Please correct me if I am mistaken!

There are alot of factors at play when brewing. Clear descriptions of ingredients and processes help us (your beer buddies) help you get to where you want to. Otherwise, it's just guesswork. You could just brew normally and dump some maltodextrin in as do extract brewers. Nah that's crap. 66.6 mash works for me.

What yeast are you using?
All other factors aside, I have no trouble getting a 1.051 all-grain wort that was mashed at 68-69C down to 1.011-1.012 -- using a yeast like WLP090.

Back