Full yeast packet in 2.5 gallon batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkIafrate

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have another question regarding yeast. I typically use one yeast packet (see below for link) for a five gallon batch (as the directions say to do0. If I'm brewing a half (2.5 gallon) batch, will my fermentation be quicker if I use the same amount? I'm not sure if this is as straightforward as I think it is, but one might assume if I'm fermenting half as much and using the same amount of yeast it would go quicker through primary?

Thanks in advance!

http://ebrew.com/beer_yeast_dry/safale_yeast_us-05.htm

Mark

I recently fermented a 3 gallon batch with one full package of Safeale S-04... everything worked out just fine.

Thanks for the responses so far! It's good to know everything should be ok, but can I expect a fast primary than normal?

Mark

Maybe, it should start quicker... I brewed 8 gallons and split it into 5g and 3g batches, hit each with one pack of s-04 and treated them exactly the same.

Gotcha', thanks. It seems like from the responses that I can expect expedited initial fermentation but that the overall time I leave it in primary shouldn't change much. Thanks again!

To piggyback on this thread. I'm doing my first test batch soon and it will be only 1.25 gal. I don't want to overpitch... Should I reduce the amount of yeast I'm pitching...? I will be using Nottingham dry yeast.

Back