Full wort boil question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkerugger

Reaction score
Hello...its been a long time.

A quick question, then I'll go back to quietly lurking:

I recently purchased a 12 gallon s/s stock pot and a propane burner so I can brew out in the garage as god intended. I'm an extract brewer, and had always boiled 2 or 2.5 gallons before, and done a late extract addition based on the feedback I've read here.

Now that I boil the full wort volume, should I continue a late addition, or just add all the lme/dme at the beginning?

Thanks!
Neil

Yet to experiment, but it seems to be suggested to me each time I mention anything about it - so i'd probably go for it on that knowledge

Late it is...thanks for the advice.

Now, if it would only cool off a little (109 heat index in Iowa City yesterday) so I could brew the 3 kits I have waiting for me, I'd be pleased!

Neil

I've done full boils my last 3 times and done the normal additions at the beginning. Worked fine for me. From everything I've read the late additions with 2-3 gal boils is so you don't scorch the malt extract too much (I use scorch for lack of a better term).

I've done full boils my last 3 times and done the normal additions at the beginning. Worked fine for me. From everything I've read the late additions with 2-3 gal boils is so you don't scorch the malt extract too much (I use scorch for lack of a better term).

Yes, I'd agree with adding the extract at the beginning for a full boil. You want to more closely simulate the all-grain version of the same recipe, so that would be hopping, and wort composition. I wouldn't use late extract addition if I was doing a full boil.

Thanks for the advice and for not yelling at me for not reading the FAQ...

T-storms and a break in the heat wave make me optimistic that Sunday will be brew day...

Neil

Yes, I'd agree with adding the extract at the beginning for a full boil. You want to more closely simulate the all-grain version of the same recipe, so that would be hopping, and wort composition. I wouldn't use late extract addition if I was doing a full boil.

I wish I knew this 2 days ago when I brew brown ale (full-boil with 6.6 pounds of LME).
I added 2.2 lbs at beginning and 4.4 as late addition (1st time with large late addition as this).. My thought was that LME is already prepared with fermentabile sugars in it, so the boil is only important to sterilize it.

Could this negatively affect to fermentation or have any other unwished consequences?

You will get more hop utilization than if you added it all at the beginning, and the color of the beer will be a little bit lighter. Fermentability will not change.

Back