Full wort boil/partial mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

8string

Reaction score
I've been doing all-grain for the last 60-some batches and decided to do a few extract brews to save time. For a full wort boil, can I steep the specialty malts in the entire 6 gallons, remove and brew as usual OR start with a smaller amount like 2 gallons, steep the specialty malts then top it off to 6 gallons and brew as usual. Thanks

It would just be easier to steep with lower volume of water. A person normally steeps grains in 2.5 gallons and then tops off to boil amounts. Thats not to say it couldnt be done the other way but since you are putting a "tea bagging action" on the steeping grains it might be less mesy with the 2.5 gallons verse an almost full kettle.

So i guess it doesn't matter which way you do it? I am steeping the crystal 60 in 4 gallons, then I'll add the syrup and top it up to 6 gallons to boil. Its a steam beer.

Back