Full volume+ mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trail

Oh great, it's that guy again.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Did a BIAB saison last weekend. I mashed with 7 gallons of water in the kettle, enough for my 5-gal batch plus boiloff. I am now reading an article about how more volume slows enzymatic activity... which concerns me. I did a 60-minute mash at 148 with 15 pounds of grain, should I be worried?

Did you hit your OG number? If so, then not a problem. I find I get conversion in ~30 minutes with well modified malt.

I was reading the IPA book last night and came across a relevant statement. On page 191, Steele states "Although a higher water to grain ratio can increase enzymatic activity in the mash, it can also result in more rapid enzyme degradation, especially when the mash is being heated."

I should mention I regularly mash with more than 2qt/lb water and as long as I don't have a bunch of unmodifieds conversion is pretty quick.

Latest posts

Back